Chemicals expired?

smc

Oct 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
I have a new guy handling the chemicals. I tested the chlorine to see if he showed up. Think the 003 is bad, because the FC test remains clear and the pool tech said that was impossible to have 5ppm and 0 FC.

He uses fancy digital testers and has done a great job even before I hired him, when my friend referred him to my blooming pool. Except for the staining, I don't think this pool has EVER looked so good!

You mean you're reading 0 FC & 5 CC?

To confirm. You added the R-0871 powder and it never got pink? Then you added the R-003 and it did turn pink but it cleared with the R-0871?
Or did you add the powder and it went pink, then you used the drops to clear it and got 5 FC but when you added the R-003 it stayed clear?

Both are very possible. The likelihood of each depends on what the water looks and smells like.

fc (free chlorine) + cc (combined chlorine) = tc (total chlorine)

ideally, you keep your fc at recommended level for your cya and pool size and chlorine delivery method and if all goes as it should, your cc should be at zero...anything over .5 is an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You must have a great nose! TF-100 KIT INSTRUCTIONS. I put 9 drops of 003 and 10 made it totally clear. Without it trying to turn pink while swirling. 10x0.5 = 5. What am I saying wrong?
Do you mean R-0871 or R-003? There's a huge difference. The R-0871 is what you count to get it to clear. The R-003 is the one between the two tests and you only use 5 drops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.