Iron Scale Stains

Aug 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Well, after cleaning up all the algae all summer last year, going through hundreds of $$ of bleach, we saw the vinyl was pretty much covered in gray/green stains. I've stayed on top of tall the chemicals, and then waited until this Spring and just did the Jack's Magic Stain Identifier. It turns out we have Iron Scale and need Solution #1 and #2. For a 44,000 gallon pool, it seems that it will cost us over $1,000 to get this all done, plus from what I understand it could take weeks. So, I guess we just keep it as is until we replace the liner? Is this really the only way to rid our pool of these stains?

Signed
Frustrated and Sad in Charlotte, NC

Iron can be controlled by proper chemistry. Can you post test results? Do you fill from a well?

Unfortunately right now I can't, but prior to doing the test yesterday, we had everything set to correct balance per Jack's Magic Kit. I'm thinking the stains came from improper and excessive shocking last year, before I took over and did a complete and thorough cleaning and months of slamming, helped by the experts here and my son the expert. So all our levels were correct. The pool is clear, the chlorine probably a little on the low side. The stains have been in there for almost a year, now, but maintenance has been correctly ongoing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.