Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Critique new plumbing before I glue it up please

1. Back To Top    #1

Critique new plumbing before I glue it up please

I had to replace a 10 year old pump and multiport valve and seek your opinion on the layout before I glue it up.

NewPlumbing.jpg

I am considering replacing my chlorinator with a SWG on the horizontal 32" return line after the heater. Any advice on the SWG in the 32" line?

I am going to insert the check valve on the pump outlet in that 16" horizontal.

Pump inlet is a 25" run.

I might push the filter/pump back towards the house a bit because the backwash outlet is conflicting with the vertical return line coming out of the heater.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot two items...

For the potential SWG v Chlorinator... I bought both and will return one.

If I go SWG, I got a sacrificial anode since it was comparatively cheap. Where do you suggest I put that?

What do you think of tight 90* vs long 90* fittings? You can see I have a long 90 penciled in for outlet of the pump and outlet of the multi-port. Original installer used regular 90s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Critique new plumbing before I glue it up please

Welcome to the forum

What nice, descriptive graphics!! Easy to follow.

1. Sweep 90's - most of those are DWV and not schedule 40. Most pro's do not use the sweeps in a pressure setting. I think they look cool but the difference in resistance is negligible, if any, so most will suggest you use the sched 40 90's

2. What made you decide to do a check valve. Would you consider putting it on the 25" intake to the pump? Might make it easier to "hold prime".

3. Most everyone here will suggest the SWG over the inline chlorinator. SWG's are very convenient if a little pricey up front.

4. I have no opinion on the placement or necessity of a sacrificial anode.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Isn't the SWG supposed to be plumbed inline BEFORE the heater?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe the SWG needs to be after the heater.....minimum of 12in.
    Rick, Fiberglass.....14 x 30 Viking Laguna - 10,000 gal. Pentair cartridge filter, gas heater, Swg, variable speed pump, Easytouch control system.
    k2006c, k1766

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks duraleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    1. Sweep 90's - most of those are DWV and not schedule 40. Most pro's do not use the sweeps in a pressure setting. I think they look cool but the difference in resistance is negligible, if any, so most will suggest you use the sched 40 90's
    Hmm, I just assumed they were sched 40 but maybe not. I'll check again.

2. What made you decide to do a check valve. Would you consider putting it on the 25" intake to the pump? Might make it easier to "hold prime".
    I did the check because that was what was there from the original install. That is the only reason so if it isn't adding value, I'll skip it.

3. Most everyone here will suggest the SWG over the inline chlorinator. SWG's are very convenient if a little pricey up front.
    My kids heard I got one and are pushing me to keep it I had trouble with the original chlorinator because of problems with a little thing called fluid dynamics and the lack of differential pressure.

4. I have no opinion on the placement or necessity of a sacrificial anode.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Isn't the SWG supposed to be plumbed inline BEFORE the heater?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual summer View Post
    I believe the SWG needs to be after the heater.....minimum of 12in.
    I vaguely recall that the SWG goes after the heater and needs a nice straight run prior but forget the specifics. I think maybe the anode goes before? I need to look this up in more detail.

6. Back To Top    #6

Henry,

I'm puzzled by the gate valve just after your Intake valve.. between the Jandy valve and the IntelliFlo..

If your goal is to introduce air into the pump it should work well.

If the goal is to be able to drain the pool, then you have it on the wrong side of the pump...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just installed a heat pump on my pool last week. From everything I researched, the check valve should be after the heater, before the SWG to prevent flow back through the heater. That is how I plumbed mine.

Edit: This is from my heat pump manual
    "WARNING: Install a check valve and/or a Hartford loop AFTER the heat pump pool heater and BEFORE any chlorinating devices. Install any automatic chemical feeders AFTER the heat pump pool heater."

Looks like the check valve AND SWG need to be on your horizontal 32" line. The check valve will not work on the 15" line after the heater because it is flowing Down.
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    I'm puzzled by the gate valve just after your Intake valve.. between the Jandy valve and the IntelliFlo..
    That has a hose bib on it. Maybe they put it in for air compressor or something for winterization. I always open the pool myself but pay to close it. I'm in freeze zone so a mistake closing could have me jack-hammering the concrete deck up.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, the SWG should be installed after the heater. Actually, to be more correct the SWG should be the last thing installed before going back to the pool. A check valve is not required with an SWG, it is only needed with a puck chlorinator. I would put the SWG in the 32" line.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
    I just installed a heat pump on my pool last week. From everything I researched, the check valve should be after the heater, before the SWG to prevent flow back through the heater. That is how I plumbed mine.
    Looks like the check valve AND SWG need to be on your horizontal 32" line. The check valve will not work on the 15" line after the heater because it is flowing Down.
    There is still the original check valve on the outlet of the heater. I'll check/rebuild the flapper. Not enough exposed piping to cut it out and replace.

11. Back To Top    #11

http://www.saltwaterpoolandspa.com/zinc-anode.html
    The most optimal placement is an in-line device between the filter and the heater.
    Looks like the anode could go in that 29 horizontal prior to the heater but that might be in the way. Maybe on the riser prior to the heater to keep it out of the way if orientation doesn't matter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by HeneryH View Post
    There is still the original check valve on the outlet of the heater. I'll check/rebuild the flapper. Not enough exposed piping to cut it out and replace.
    OK, in that case I would install the SWG in the 32" line and call it good. As someone else mentioned, maybe install the check valve on the pump suction to prevent prime loss, but not really necessary.

Out of curiosity, what is that Black thing on top of a PVC line next to the heater that looks like power is ran to it? I have seen a few in pictures and have no clue what it is.
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is that Black thing on top of a PVC line next to the heater that looks like power is ran to it? I have seen a few in pictures and have no clue what it is.
    Air Blower for spa jets.