Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just opened pool can't see the bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opened pool can't see the bottom

We just opened our pool today and haven't put any chemicals in there yet but pool is green can't see the bottom of the pool. We been vacuuming but don't seem to be getting anywhere.... do we try to just keep vacuuming then put chemicals in. We have a above ground round pool about 4-4 1/2 feet
    Deep.not sure where to go from here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just opened pool can't see the bottom

Start getting some liquid chlorine in it and run the filter constantly. Backwash when the pressure gets too high. Brush the pool sides and bottom down as best you can. Get a good test kit and post the results and we'll help you through it. A set of pictures as a reference will help. And read this thread. Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    24'x52" Above Ground Pool, Hayward Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Dual Speed pump, In-line Chlorine Feeder (only used when on vacation), AquaLuminator return light (customized with color changing LED light), all plumbing done with Schedule 40 PVC
    & 2004 Elite Spas Monterey Hot Tub (~400 gallons) with Controlomatic Technichlor SWG - Use Taylor K-2006 test kit with K-1766 addition and speed stir on both.

3. Back To Top    #3

I shut the pump off after letting it run for a few hrs. Would it be ok to put chlorine first thing in morning? I have powdered shock how much do u recommend? And do I add algecide in yet too?

4. Back To Top    #4

As Slinky mentioned, first steps first. Test kit, you need a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006 (either one will do, the TF-100 is the recommended kit by this forum). This is the most important thing right now. With this you can accurately test your pool levels and the forum can help you turn that pool into the sparkling puddle of joy it was intended to be.

While you are waiting, do what Slinky said and start getting the bottom cleaned up of debris and muck as much as possible. Sediment is your enemy in the SLAM process, which is what you'll need to do. Powdered shock and algecide aren't really used around here. All you'll need for certain is a source of liquid chlorine (bleach is viable). You may possibly need CYA but wait on the test kit results before worrying about acquiring that.

Go read everything you possibly can in Pool School and learn the philosophy of this forum and what it takes to have a "trouble free pool". It works, truly. My personal pool thread (linked in signature) is a testament to the process. Go read through other threads in this forum and you'll see the same in countless instances. Do the reading, share your results, and let us help you through the process. Be sure to read up on the SLAM process.
    21K gal in-ground, plaster
    1HP Single Speed pump, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter TR-60
    MX8 Elite Suction Cleaner
    TFP Pool Noob - It took me 14 years! Learn from my mistakes, go back to Pool School!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir