Pristine Blue to Chlorine

FC (Free Chlorine) is what you want, and your addition will raise it to 10which is your current shock level and just as a precaution since you have had no chlorine in the pool. Then you can let it drop down to the normal level of 3. Each night you'll add enough to raise up to 5-6, which will keep you above 3 until the next night.

I highly recommend the TF100, sold by TFtestkits.net (the link is on our homepage). (I have one and love it.) Or you can get the Taylor K-2006 thru the Taylor Technologies website, or Leslie's Pool Supplies sells a re-branded version.

Keep reading Pool School - the articles there cover just about everything but if you do have questions don't hesitate to ask. :goodjob:

Ok, added the chlorine and algaecide and no staining so far. If it where to start staining how long does it usually take to start seeing it?

I really want to thank you for your help. Always nice having a second opinion, one that is not linked to making a buck off me! :cheers:

Ordered the the TF100 like you recommened. Can't wait to do all the tests myself. My wife bought one of the floaty things the holds chlorine pucks. . . .do they work (generally)? No really wanting to test the water EVERY day but can a couple times a week.

they work at screwing up people's pools by getting their CYA level up too high (the chlorine pucks add cya). they're ok as long as your cya is below normal (though not too much below) and if you go on vacation or something. otherwise they're a bad idea. read through a few threads here and you will see a ton of people having to drain and refill their pools due to high CYA levels (draining is the only solution). I know you don't want to test every day, but you're going to need to do it or something close to it, at least at first. or you can follow the pool store plan and "shock" weekly(dump a bunch of chlorine in, not the correct way to shock as shown in pool school), use the chlorine tab feeder and buy the really expensive algaecide.

hotnjax said:
Ok, added the chlorine and algaecide and no staining so far. If it where to start staining how long does it usually take to start seeing it?

I really want to thank you for your help. Always nice having a second opinion, one that is not linked to making a buck off me! :cheers:

Ordered the the TF100 like you recommened. Can't wait to do all the tests myself. My wife bought one of the floaty things the holds chlorine pucks. . . .do they work (generally)? No really wanting to test the water EVERY day but can a couple times a week.

First, Algaecide is not necessary. Chlorine is all you need.

No problem, glad to help. I was pool stored one too many times and now I'm out to save the world! LOL

I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible - you're wife needs to stay AWAY from the pool store. :wink:

Seriously, you can use the floater for vacation use, but that's about all we recommend. As said above, pucks result in overstabilized pools, pools with low ph which can ruin liners and damage equipment. Some pucks contain copper which can stain pools and cause green hair....this list goes on.

As soon as your kit comes, post an update with a full set of test results. :goodjob:

Not sure when the test kit is coming in but going to take sample in tonight to the pool store and post the results when I get back later but will not buy any product unless is way outta wack. I can't wait to get that kit, no more going to the store! But in the mean while, what we did worked awesome! It's so so clear! Love it, never was like this with Pristine Blue.

Thanks for the advice Reebok, I now have to talk to the wife about it....she bought a "cute" dog floaty thing for the pucks. :hammer:

I know what your saying about keeping her away. She's frusterated with the pool (I think she thought is wasn't going to need much attention) so I'll be doing all the chem stuff.

hotnjax said:
Not sure when the test kit is coming in but going to take sample in tonight to the pool store and post the results when I get back later but will not buy any product unless is way outta wack. I can't wait to get that kit, no more going to the store! But in the mean while, what we did worked awesome! It's so so clear! Love it, never was like this with Pristine Blue.

Thanks for the advice Reebok, I now have to talk to the wife about it....she bought a "cute" dog floaty thing for the pucks. :hammer:

I know what your saying about keeping her away. She's frusterated with the pool (I think she thought is wasn't going to need much attention) so I'll be doing all the chem stuff.

Don't buy any products until you verify with us it's necessary first. If you have followed the instructions given so far, all you should need now is more chlorine.

The test kit averages 2-3 days for arrival. :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
hotnjax said:

Don't buy any products until you verify with us it's necessary first. If you have followed the instructions given so far, all you should need now is more chlorine.

The test kit averages 2-3 days for arrival. :goodjob:

I idn't buy anything even thought he was trying to sell me it! OK, here are the numbers:
Chlorine: 2
pH: 7.2
Stabilizer: 30
Alkalinity: 125
Hardness: 500
and then there is the TDS which was 500, he siad as long as it's below 1500 it's ok but then tried to sell me some Metal Control! Love these people.

I'm sure if I test is this morning the FC will be lower so I'll have my wife go and get the water tested one last time, get chlorine ONLY and put whatever it calls for in as our test kit arrives tomorrow! Yea! :party:
Have to get ready for work so will talk to you guy later. Thanks again :cheers:

Oh and Reebok, good one! I wish I thought of that....will have to make it happen.

What a piece of work that one.... metal control for TDS PUleeze...

Just chlorine. Now that your CYA is 30, look at the CYA chart in my sig. You will see your "min" your "target" and your "shock". You want to use the "target" as your goal each nite, and this should keep you above the "min" which is what you want - for the FC to stay above the MIN at all times. If you need to shock, the far right column is shock level (12).

Once you have your kit it's much simpler to use the CYA chart and pool calculator to figure out exactly how much bleach each nite you add. :goodjob:

The best thing you can do is listen to the folks on this forum. I followed their instructions to the letter in converting from Pristine Blue Crud and my pool is in amazing shape. The best part is that I am in complete control of my pool and what goes in it now (usually bleach each night and kids each day :-D ). When I converted from Pristine Blue I was using Jack's Magic Stuff for about 2 months but now my copper readings are below 0.1 so I don't bother. I did have 4 stain spots on my liner that I removed with a Magic Eraser, but have had none ever since.
After what I learned here on TFP I can't believe how I fell for that pool store nonsense with Pristine Blue.
So take control of your pool, stop your wife going to the pool store :lol: , use the test kit suggested on here, stick to BBB and be patient with it.

IrishAl
22000 AG pool
Sand Filter
2HP pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes I was guesstimating. I was aboce 20 so just went with 15 on the CYA. About the stabilizer, can I put in liquid? If not, I should put it in a sock in the strainer correct?

Just did the CC test and got a more accurate FC number....getting better at it! My wife thinks I'm going overboard testing lol. It's kinda fun.

FC - 2.5
CC - .5
TC - 3
ph 7.2
T/A 110
CYA 15

Should how much stab should I put in, what should my goal CYA be? We are going to get 5 gallons of chlorine so I can add a little each day.

My pH was 7.2 and wanted to raise it 7.6 and couldn't find Borax so I asked out loud, "where is the Borax" to which I received a few odd looks. Anywho, got some pH Plus by Suncoast which is 98% Sodium Carbonate.....good to go right but not sure how much to add as it's not list on the pool calc.

I got CYA....ok so it's telling me to put in 4.25 lbs of CYA to raise it from 15 to 50....I don't think I have a sock to put it in that big enough nor do I think it'll fit the skimmer. So I've heard I can slowly pour it into the skimmer...true?

hotnjax said:
My pH was 7.2 and wanted to raise it 7.6 and couldn't find Borax so I asked out loud, "where is the Borax" to which I received a few odd looks. Anywho, got some pH Plus by Suncoast which is 98% Sodium Carbonate.....good to go right but not sure how much to add as it's not list on the pool calc.

I got CYA....ok so it's telling me to put in 4.25 lbs of CYA to raise it from 15 to 50....I don't think I have a sock to put it in that big enough nor do I think it'll fit the skimmer. So I've heard I can slowly pour it into the skimmer...true?

Edit:
No!. Just do 2 lbs in a sock at a time. Do one sock and tie it off in front of the return, and put the other 2 lbs in another sock and set it to the side in the skimmer so it doesn't block the water flow.

The PH Plus is "soda ash". It will also raise your TA, but not by that much. It's probably fine since you are going to add CYA which is slightly acidic...

Go ahead and add about 3 cups. predissolve it in a bucket of pool water and pour it into the return flow of water.

End Edit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.