Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deep cleaning of sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Deep cleaning of sand filter

Thanks for the instructions, photos, videos, etc in the sticky above!!

Performed the deep clean, water coming out the top looked like the muddy Mississippi River. Took almost 2 hours to get it clean.
    About 23,200 gal vinyl in ground, "stop sign" shaped 22x22, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Hayward Aqua Plus Pro Logic Controller, Hayward T-15 SWG cell, Hayward S244T sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deep cleaning of sand filter

I wonder how much your pressure will drop now? Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How often do you do a deep clean?
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Once a year. I will do it as soon as I am off for the summer. I like to set aside a couple/few hours as I take my sand out. Not every body should do this but since I get soooo many bugs in mine it makes me happy to do so.........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

That was my first deep clean, and I'm fairly sure the previous owner didn't do it, as he had the local pool company do all his maintenance since install in 2012. I purchased 8-2014.
    I had a lightening strike on my pool computer/controller last week, and when the pool guy replaced the board, I asked him about deep cleaning. He stated he never heard of it, and recommended replacing the sand every 5 years. Ha!!
    About 23,200 gal vinyl in ground, "stop sign" shaped 22x22, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Hayward Aqua Plus Pro Logic Controller, Hayward T-15 SWG cell, Hayward S244T sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

AND he would be glad to sell you the sand and do the work for you!!!!!!!!! LOL

Kim