Plaster discoloration after ascorbic acid stain removal

May 11, 2017
Folsom/CA
Vitamin C tablets removed stains caused by a chlorine puck, but left a different discoloration that I would like to get rid of (picture attached). The pool is currently dry and the problem areas are barely noticeable when dry. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the discoloration?

Attachments

• pool_discolor.jpg
    pool_discolor.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 53
I'm relatively new to pools (1.5 yrs) and did not want to try anything without seeking advice to avoid making the spots look worse. Pool turned to a swamp when I was away from home for an extended period, so I drained and cleaned it, and it is now waiting to be refilled, pending anything I might do for the spots. FYI, there had to be some copper in the water from many bottles of Clorox xtra blue shock that I had used fighting algae (no longer doing this), so maybe this contributed to the discoloration.

Is there any problem leaving the pool dry for up to a couple weeks while I sort this out? Temperature forecast is in low 70s.

I think you would do better to get water back in the pool rather quickly. I am not sure you can get all those stains, although some may be organic and will slowly fade if you keep your water chlorinated adequately.

Agreed, I would fill the pool back up. It is not good for pools or plaster to be empty for any period of time. Everything we recommend for clearing stains or algae can be accomplished with the pool full of water. Even if it is a swamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.