Lap Pool Renovation with Aquabright

We have action!! Our fantastic EcoFinish guys are here to try to remove paint from the shell via pressure washing. ? Please people - NEVER PAINT A POOL!!
d9c0c3f12c84829616fbde8de4405199-1.jpg

Hi AmyJo,

Installing or renovating a pool is a pretty intense process. And an expensive one at that. So, I don't think you are taking it WAYYYY too seriously. This is your home and you want things done right, and the process to be as smooth as possible. So freakout, vent, or whatever, that is what we are here for. I think if I weren't able to "share" and learn on TFP, I would be a nervous wreck. :shaking:

Thanks for the visual. That totally makes sense to have an additional step there to make it easier to get in and out of your pool. Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of handrails, but safety first, especially because your stairs are so narrow. What ideas did you have for a handrail?

By the way, will you be using your pool for swimming laps and flip-turning? If not, maybe you could make that entire end of your pool steps, for a dramatic entrance. You're already waiting for that one step to cure, so it won't increase the time, but it will require more tile. Just a thought. :idea:

OMG - THE ENTIRE POOL HAS TO BE RE-PLASTERED!!!!! I may need to take to my bed as I'm all of a sudden
ac4f53943f31282419c8c87bb2619b31-1.jpg
2601a8e7cefaef78f1574b487baaf97d-1.jpg
feeling poorly. [emoji43] [emoji389] [emoji389]

These are looking at the GOOD side. The plaster is coming off WITH the paint. It's delaminating all over the place - and they haven't even started on the floor yet. [emoji20]

What's a few more thousand $$$?? My husband is now calling our pool "the black hole."

How long has the pool been empty?

Hi Brian - it has been empty now for almost two months, but the guys think it's mainly because of old plaster (approximately 16-17 years old) plus possibly a bad original application. It's so rough that AquaBright wouldn't even cover it anyway. It' hurts to even touch the side you can't see yet in today's photos. So this is a good thing in the long run. I guess. *Sigh*

Sorry to hear that but you will end up with a much better finish in the long run. Hopefully plaster prices aren't too outrageous in your area.

I threw some AquaBright on a pool that had plaster close to 30 years old and it surprisingly took it well. The acid wash left 1/2" craters in the floor of the spa and the deep end of the pool.

Sorry to hear that but you will end up with a much better finish in the long run. Hopefully plaster prices aren't too outrageous in your area.

I threw some AquaBright on a pool that had plaster close to 30 years old and it surprisingly took it well. The acid wash left 1/2" craters in the floor of the spa and the deep end of the pool.

Thanks Brian. Do you think sitting empty has contributed to this? We've had issues for 3 years now and knew we needed to do something. Apparently the new plaster cost would normally be 3700.00 from his plasterer friend (less expensive than I was quotedtwo years ago by Georgia Plaster directly), but he's taking off today's power-washing/patching charge and a handrail/installation charge to knock off 1000.00 before we ever discussed it. So it will be an extra 2700.00. Not thrilled, but this guy is great and I trust him and it needs to be done. Are all EcoFinish guys this nice??

to answer your last question ... NO

But you need a good surface to apply the plastic. It needs to be smooth and solid if you want a good looking result ...

Thanks Brian. Do you think sitting empty has contributed to this? We've had issues for 3 years now and knew we needed to do something. Apparently the new plaster cost would normally be 3700.00 from his plasterer friend (less expensive than I was quotedtwo years ago by Georgia Plaster directly), but he's taking off today's power-washing/patching charge and a handrail/installation charge to knock off 1000.00 before we ever discussed it. So it will be an extra 2700.00. Not thrilled, but this guy is great and I trust him and it needs to be done. Are all EcoFinish guys this nice??

Your installer is aware he's in a bad spot because he knows you could easily plaster the pool and call it good. There has to be some enticement to keep you going with AquaBright.

I pretty much plaster pools for free on new builds that want AquaBright because of this. It doesn't help how competitive pricing is here either.

- - - Updated - - -

But you need a good surface to apply the plastic. It needs to be smooth and solid if you want a good looking result ...

Sorry you had a bad experience but hopefully you are happy with the end result.

Your pool is absolutely beautiful!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your installer is aware he's in a bad spot because he knows you could easily plaster the pool and call it good. There has to be some enticement to keep you going with AquaBright.

I pretty much plaster pools for free on new builds that want AquaBright because of this. It doesn't help how competitive pricing is here either.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry you had a bad experience but hopefully you are happy with the end result.

Your pool is absolutely beautiful!

Ha - as predicted, my husband came home and said "why don't we just stop at the plaster??" He changed his tune after I reminded him about the maintenance and care of AquaBright v white plaster. [emoji12]

Hey Brian - our guy is telling us that the white plastic strip under the coping edge was part of the original form and it is NOT necessary to keep it for expansion joint reasons. He says we can cut it off! Is that advisable?

Grrrrr .... I even selected a tile with some white in it to match the stupid thing!

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with your pool builder. Are things settled now? Your pool IS very handsome - and from my perspective looks amazing! I hope you're able to enjoy it and hopefully forget the bad while splashing and floating around ....

Ha - as predicted, my husband came home and said "why don't we just stop at the plaster??" He changed his tune after I reminded him about the maintenance and care of AquaBright v white plaster. [emoji12]

Hey Brian - our guy is telling us that the white plastic strip under the coping edge was part of the original form and it is NOT necessary to keep it for expansion joint reasons. He says we can cut it off! Is that advisable?

Grrrrr .... I even selected a tile with some white in it to match the stupid thing!

Ditch it!

AMYJO! How in the world did I miss this thread??????? Oh my girl! What a journey you have been on. I am SO glad to see that you have had some awesome help!

I love everything you have picked and where you are putting it!

:hug: on finding out you have to re-plaster :(

Kim :kim:

I heard that aquabright was supposed to be coming out with a second generation thicker epoxy that would make going over pebble finishes easier ...

That's new to me but would be very a very welcome addition. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of pebble pools getting resurfaced once they see how smooth and even colored their Pools​ can be.

I know of one right there⬇️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.