Lap Pool Renovation with Aquabright

So to make sure I am visualizing this correctly - where the existing white plaster is on the left and right walls, the long ones, that is going to have to AB and then the top waterline area, the bench including the front of it all the way down to the floor and above it up to the waterline, and the stairs on all sides, will be tile? And you are concerned about the two areas of existing white plaster in the photos right now that are below the waterline tile area but above the stairs and bench? It looks to be about 8-10".

If that is correct, I don't think it will look silly to have the little strips of plaster/AB on the left and right while the short back wall is all tile simply bc it will look like a cascade of tile from the short wall down and everything "on that wall" is covered in tile so it actually makes sense not to tile those two areas on the left and right bc they arent included in the focal area which is the back wall of stairs and bench.

Teal areas being tiled. Is this what you want to do? Bc I think it looks great
18814375_10211726281419733_1002967548617226853_n.jpg

18882070_10211726281819743_3079879513603275459_n.jpg

Hope I am understanding this correctly.

Ha!!! Way to go Shantelly! I've been reading and reading this tile/AB thing trying to get it clear in my mind. Finally I felt like I had it and came to my computer to say the same thing - but I would not have explained it nearly as well. Like Shantelly, I wasn't/am not 100% sure this is what you meant, Amy, but I came to the same conclusion of understanding where YOU are meaning the tile to be as Shantelly.

To add, when the pool is filled with water, the little strips will be far less noticeable, if at all.

And Shantelly's description of a "cascade of tile.... down" is so perfect and eloquent. My vision that finally struck me is the same but more boring. Looking towards the stairs from the length of the pool, it's easy...... Tile the front faces of what you see, nothing along the sides with the exception of the waterline tile which must be continued. (and of course the treads or tops of each step/bench will be tiled) Now the only difference between what I'm saying and Shantelly's instructions of where to tile is that logically with my vision, the right side of the steps would NOT be tiled. But, and this is rare for my left side brain/sequential thinking, Shantelly has the right idea to tile that section, also. Why, not, it will be gorgeous! If you were to be short of tile, then that is where I would skip tiling (only the right side of the steps) But if I had enough tile, I'd definitely tile that area.

I'm so glad Shantelly added her highlighting to the picture. I have no idea how to do that. As TFP loves, a picture speaks a thousands words.

Amy, I was thrilled when you decided to tile your steps and benches. I've been holding my breath that you would be reassured by experts to do that. I absolutely love my spa benches being tiled in - one of my favorite places in my pool! They sparkle all the time - even at night. You will love it!!!!

So to make sure I am visualizing this correctly - where the existing white plaster is on the left and right walls, the long ones, that is going to have to AB and then the top waterline area, the bench including the front of it all the way down to the floor and above it up to the waterline, and the stairs on all sides, will be tile? And you are concerned about the two areas of existing white plaster in the photos right now that are below the waterline tile area but above the stairs and bench? It looks to be about 8-10".

If that is correct, I don't think it will look silly to have the little strips of plaster/AB on the left and right while the short back wall is all tile simply bc it will look like a cascade of tile from the short wall down and everything "on that wall" is covered in tile so it actually makes sense not to tile those two areas on the left and right bc they arent included in the focal area which is the back wall of stairs and bench.

Teal areas being tiled. Is this what you want to do? Bc I think it looks great

Hope I am understanding this correctly.

Ha!!! Way to go Shantelly! I've been reading and reading this tile/AB thing trying to get it clear in my mind. Finally I felt like I had it and came to my computer to say the same thing - but I would not have explained it nearly as well. Like Shantelly, I wasn't/am not 100% sure this is what you meant, Amy, but I came to the same conclusion of understanding where YOU are meaning the tile to be as Shantelly.

To add, when the pool is filled with water, the little strips will be far less noticeable, if at all.

And Shantelly's description of a "cascade of tile.... down" is so perfect and eloquent. My vision that finally struck me is the same but more boring. Looking towards the stairs from the length of the pool, it's easy...... Tile the front faces of what you see, nothing along the sides with the exception of the waterline tile which must be continued. (and of course the treads or tops of each step/bench will be tiled) Now the only difference between what I'm saying and Shantelly's instructions of where to tile is that logically with my vision, the right side of the steps would NOT be tiled. But, and this is rare for my left side brain/sequential thinking, Shantelly has the right idea to tile that section, also. Why, not, it will be gorgeous! If you were to be short of tile, then that is where I would skip tiling (only the right side of the steps) But if I had enough tile, I'd definitely tile that area.

I'm so glad Shantelly added her highlighting to the picture. I have no idea how to do that. As TFP loves, a picture speaks a thousands words.

Amy, I was thrilled when you decided to tile your steps and benches. I've been holding my breath that you would be reassured by experts to do that. I absolutely love my spa benches being tiled in - one of my favorite places in my pool! They sparkle all the time - even at night. You will love it!!!!

YES Shantelly and Suz! That's exactly what I am planning to do! Thank you!! Thank you also Shantelly for illustrating it so beautifully! I honestly don't know what has gotten into me obsessing over all of this!? I guess it's that it's pretty permanent and I'm going to be living with it for a very long time. I select things for clients all the time ..... but it's much harder for me to do it for myself!

Thank you all for being so enthusiastic about our little pool! [emoji4][emoji8]

So glad I visualized that correctly. It is going to look fantastic. I wish we could have done more glass in the spa but at $35 a square foot to buy and the same to install, no bueno!

Feeling better from the dry socket. Just a tiny bit sore the last 2 days but its basically covered. Falling down the stairs 2 days ago on my right hip/seat bone where my herniated disc is didnt help but that is how I roll apparently! Haha just very sore and bruised.

AmyJo, dont feel bad about obsessing. I have been the same way with this whole pool thing. I mean we had the house built and it was custom so we were picking everything right down to the door hinges. But a pool is even more final than a house bc it isn't as easy as painting your walls or swapping hardware. But you're making lovely decisions!

So glad I visualized that correctly. It is going to look fantastic. I wish we could have done more glass in the spa but at $35 a square foot to buy and the same to install, no bueno!

Feeling better from the dry socket. Just a tiny bit sore the last 2 days but its basically covered. Falling down the stairs 2 days ago on my right hip/seat bone where my herniated disc is didnt help but that is how I roll apparently! Haha just very sore and bruised.

AmyJo, dont feel bad about obsessing. I have been the same way with this whole pool thing. I mean we had the house built and it was custom so we were picking everything right down to the door hinges. But a pool is even more final than a house bc it isn't as easy as painting your walls or swapping hardware. But you're making lovely decisions!

You visualized it perfectly! It's so small that I've not drawn it out, but your photos are perfect. I think the tile will look so good that no one else will even think about the little strips of AB there. If this were not an overstock tile (19.99/s.f.), there is no way I would be using this much! My husband thinks I'm nuts. As Suz reminded me, it's largely going to be underwater anyway!

Ouch - you fell down stairs?? You poor thing! But glad your mouth is feeling better. Please be careful and don't get into any more trouble! :)

Pools seem much more permanent than anything I do on an interior ..... therein lies the rub. I also want so badly to do SOMETHING different to this pool, but everything seems monumental- along with a monumental price tag. We had NO idea how much we would spend for what little we are doing. It's such a shame we can't figure out how to do a spa or a water feature at one end ..... but it's an oddly constructed situation. The far end of the pool becomes wood decking just after the coping. The decking is approximately 6-7 ft off the ground. That would be one long tall spa! I can't imagine anyone else has had to do such a thing. So now I'm researching a little fountain nozzle thing (or two?) we can set into the deck at the end of the coping that will shoot an arc of water into the pool. Do you know if anyone here has used those?

There are deck jets that pool companies put in. I'm not real clear on your set up, so I don't know if it can be added on a renovation.

Here's a link to a DIY deck jet. I believe there are more on YouTube.
DIY Laminar Flow Nozzle

A Jandy deck jet installed by owner (I think, I didn't read it word for word.)
Jandy Deck Jets complete vs. nozzles only installation

One last link. There's more....just do a search on TFP, YouTube, Pinterest, Google, etc.
Tell me about laminar jets.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, just reread your post - missed the part you've already been doing some research! You probably have these. I need to read more carefully!

There are deck jets that pool companies put in. I'm not real clear on your set up, so I don't know if it can be added on a renovation.

DIY Laminar Flow Nozzle

One last link. There's more....just do a search on TFP, YouTube, Pinterest, Google, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, just reread your post - missed the part you've already been doing some research! You probably have these. I need to read more carefully!

Thank you Suz! No, I haven't done much research at all. I didn't even know what they were called. But I will now read up on these. Thank you for posting the links. I will also try to post a photo showing where I'm thinking one or two can be installed. Many thanks!!

DIY Laminar Flow Nozzle

- - - Updated - - -

It's so difficult to draw well on a photo on an iPhone, but this is my idea:

See where the coping ends and deck begins? (Decking maintenance/finish to be addressed very soon as well!). I propose installing one - or two - jets/nozzles on the wood decking adjacent to the coping - and running needed piping underneath the deck to the equipment pad. I really REALLY
0bafec09428b8e8c75833257a5a53496-1.jpg
would love to have a slightly elevated spa in this location - or a waterfall - but haven't figured out yet how to make that happen. Another idea is a waterbowl at the end (again on the deck) that spills into the end of the pool.

ATTENTION ALL TFP-er's - all suggestions welcome!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love water bowls! What shape do you like? Modern, traditional, etc?
You may want to avoid any regular splashing onto your glass tile (or other places) from a water feature. It's a lot more work to keep the tile sparkly clean in those areas. It seems to me water bowls would have the least chance of that happening. Also, consider the noise factor with a water feature. In your area, sound will probably bounce around and be magnified. My sheer descent is loud! I turn it on for people see or if I'm alone, but it's difficult to have a conversation when the water is flowing.

Last post, then I'll stop..... There are sooooo many options! You're going to have fun!

The picture below shows an after build wall with a water feature. Search Aquastar on ground pool for the link to info about this picture. (some reason, saving isn't working.)

Last post, then I'll stop..... There are sooooo many options! You're going to have fun!

The picture below shows an after build wall with a water feature. Search Aquastar on ground pool for the link to info about this picture. (some reason, saving isn't working.)

Suz! I love it! Keep 'em coming!!

The curlique thing IS quite interesting. However, I sort of hate it and am intrigued with it all at the same time. [emoji23]

I would love to do a small wall with sheets or scuppers, but that seems to be problematic with our current wood deck. :(

I've been looking up water bowls!

Thank you for sending such fun options!

Depending on the surface below your decking you could have a portion of the wood removed and have a water feature wall put in. There are a lot of "artist" out there with there craft and if you got the right person they could cut out the deck and make it look like the wall was always there

Just an idea, also the plumbing might be easy to run under the deck which gives you more options since you may not have to dig anything up

Depending on the surface below your decking you could have a portion of the wood removed and have a water feature wall put in. There are a lot of "artist" out there with there craft and if you got the right person they could cut out the deck and make it look like the wall was always there

Just an idea, also the plumbing might be easy to run under the deck which gives you more options since you may not have to dig anything up

It's a good idea in theory, but at that point the decking is a good 6-7 ft above the ground. We haven't measured it yet, so I'm just guessing.

Yeah, I don't really understand the vinyl comment.

In my opinion the very light colors resemble white plaster. Why spend all the money on AquaBright just to have it look like white plaster?

Have you considered grey reef or blue granite?

That comment came from me but was not originated by me. It was originated and stated to me by the pool builder here in Eastern PA that is associated with AB and, to my understanding, the development of AB. They actually talked us out of the Blue Mist color using that statement. I don't want anyone attributing the origin of this statement directly to me.

That comment came from me but was not originated by me. It was originated and stated to me by the pool builder here in Eastern PA that is associated with AB and, to my understanding, the development of AB. They actually talked us out of the Blue Mist color using that statement. I don't want anyone attributing the origin of this statement directly to me.

Hi - I couldn't remember who said it and wasn't concerned. I don't think anyone is! I just wondered why there was the comparison. I've also not seen a cheap blue vinyl pool, so don't know what color that would be anyway. Please do not feel we were being rude. That was truly not our intention.

I would like our water to be close in color to our tile - an aqua/turquoise color - a bit more intense than what a white plaster pool gives, but not Windex or fake looking. But so far, no one can tell me what color of AB that might be. Do you know?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.