Lap Pool Renovation with Aquabright

Hi - I couldn't remember who said it and wasn't concerned. I don't think anyone is! I just wondered why there was the comparison. I've also not seen a cheap blue vinyl pool, so don't know what color that would be anyway. Please do not feel we were being rude. That was truly not our intention.

I would like our water to be close in color to our tile - an aqua/turquoise color - a bit more intense than what a white plaster pool gives, but not Windex or fake looking. But so far, no one can tell me what color of AB that might be. Do you know?

Mediterranean?

IMG_20161223_131217388.jpg

The colors change a lot based on lighting and the surrounding hardscape/landscape

Here's the same color but it looks completely different:

15921.jpg

Mediterranean?

View attachment 63080

The colors change a lot based on lighting and the surrounding hardscape/landscape

Here's the same color but it looks completely different:

View attachment 63083

I LOVE the first photo!!! But would be unhappy if it turned out dark blue like the second. What was different about the first scenario that makes it look more turquoise?

I think it was just mid-day with full sun. That pool has a lot of mature Palm trees around it so some of it may be a reflection. It is the same color though because I used the leftover material on the other pool. Crazy...

That is crazy! We have lots of trees, bamboo and banana trees, but the house surrounding the pool is beige and white. So who knows?? Our AB finisher is discussing the color with the people in PA and is also going to discuss the possibility of a custom color with them. [emoji33]

Your beige and white house will probably bring out more aqua, teal, green. It IS all crazy - that's why choosing a pool color is so difficult! When I was trying to pick a finish color, I decided my odds of success were probably better in Vegas!

I think what people mean when they say that cheap vinyl blue color isn't referring to an actual like in ground vinyl pool (honestly until I joined this forum I had no idea such a thing existed!) But more the blow up pools from Wal-Mart or Costco etc. At least that is what comes to mind when I hear or read that bc honestly I felt the same way. I did not want a super light finish that matched the color of a blow up pool. So not a knock on anyone bc a blow up pool is more than we have at this moment and have ever had in the past and as a kid all we had was a basic above ground pool and we were lucky we had that, but I think many people feel like if you were dropping thousands of dollars on a pool, you want the color to be something orher than the "out of the box" color anyone can buy at Wal-Mart, etc.

With that said, I like the idea of scupper bowls and you would think it wouldn't be hard to run lines for that esp if you can walk under that deck back there and see the end for the pool? Worse case, I have watched many a DIY Yard Crashers episode and they always have a water feature where there is a basin and a simple pump and it has a water fall or cascades over various things. You could make something that looks like it works with the pool but is self contained if it comes to that. I would also check out Wayfair.com and see what they have when it comes to water features. They had a ton of cool fire features.

For the AB finish that you are searching for, I can visualize what you mean esp bc that Windex description is perfect. Looking at the colors, the closest may be the grey reef esp bc I believe I read your pool area has a lot of tall, mature trees and is usually shaded? The pics of the grey reef in full on bright sun with nothing around the pool wasn't the right color but the pics where the sun wasn't at high noon or there were structures or trees near the pool, the color was a deeper aqua. The only other option I saw that might work is the sahara sand in the pics that were more shaded as well. I'm going to try to embed 3 pics from the AB website. First 2 are shaded and are of grey reef. The 3rd with the tiled steps is a shaded sahara sand. To me, the other colors are too blue, not aqua. And the dark ones are just too dark for your project.

View attachment 63130

View attachment 63131

View attachment 63129

AmyJo Love that sunshade in your backyard picture. Where can I get one?? ��

Hi spoonman - thank you! I wish I could take credit for it, but the previous owner had it custom made to match the front of our house. He's sadly no longer living, so I cannot ask him. [emoji20]

If you decide you'd like to have one made, I will be happy to take photos and measurements for you!

Your beige and white house will probably bring out more aqua, teal, green. It IS all crazy - that's why choosing a pool color is so difficult! When I was trying to pick a finish color, I decided my odds of success were probably better in Vegas!

I feel the same way Mama Suz! (Love your new moniker, by the way). I just HAD to go select a tile with a specific aqua color and I have no idea if I can even get close to that shade of blue!

Speaking of tile ..... *GULP* Finally ordered and paid for that today. Not sure why I never thought too much about the cost of trim pieces, taxes (they have a rep here) and FREIGHT across the US. That was NOT fun to see tacked onto the order. [emoji15] [emoji389] [emoji389] [emoji389]

Hi - I couldn't remember who said it and wasn't concerned. I don't think anyone is! I just wondered why there was the comparison. I've also not seen a cheap blue vinyl pool, so don't know what color that would be anyway. Please do not feel we were being rude. That was truly not our intention.

I would like our water to be close in color to our tile - an aqua/turquoise color - a bit more intense than what a white plaster pool gives, but not Windex or fake looking. But so far, no one can tell me what color of AB that might be. Do you know?

Not sure on the color you need but I'll provide pix of Blue Lagoon in our pool which, hopefully with any luck, will go in this coming week. Man am I ready for water!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OMG - I just FREAKED OUT when handed a sheet of our tile that just arrived.

Thank goodness I realized I was looking at the back on brown paper. WHEW.

[emoji4]
9894a6f15dfbcf0b8b68429fc99c62ff-1.jpg

b8aac979635d75fcc6ef72d54fa93e82-1.jpg

I dunno..... green and gold were my old high school colors - the Harvesters!!! "On you Harvesters, On you Harvesters.... :kim:" ( the brown ones look gold on my computer!)

I'm confused. So the side with the brown paper is the front? or the back?

Aren't you glad you have them now, safe and sound???

I dunno..... green and gold were my old high school colors - the Harvesters!!! "On you Harvesters, On you Harvesters.... :kim:" ( the brown ones look gold on my computer!)

I'm confused. So the side with the brown paper is the front? or the back?

Aren't you glad you have them now, safe and sound???

You are too funny! Ours were burgundy and gold. Go Trojans!

The brown paper covers the FRONT of the tile. I knew this, but still flipped when my husband put it on my desk. I was expecting to see our pretty tile. [emoji33]

I'm glad to have them, but get this - because of ONE little itty bitty step being added to our existing bench and steps - seriously 15"W x 12"D - we have to wait an additional 28 days to cure. I'm thinking a Thanksgiving pool opening?? Why have I been in such a big rush?? We have a minimum of ten weeks of curing time ahead of us, not including the prep and tile installation. That is, IF the finish contractor shows up to take off the paint from the previous seller. That was scheduled for today. [emoji34] Just call me Grumpy.

I also assumed (incorrectly) that we would simply cut the tile sheets in two for our 6" waterline tile. Oh, but that would be too easy - there are only 11 pieces per sheet. Never occurred to me to ask. Live and learn. And order more tile?

Congratulations on getting your tile! Let's hope that little scare is as much drama as you will have for the remainder of your renovation. I'm looking at the pictures of your pool and trying to figure out where you needed to add the extra stair. (Pictures please...:p)

That's a bummer that you will now have to wait twice as long because of one step....UGH. But I understand how important taking your time and doing it the right way is, so it will all be worth it in the end. How cold does Atlanta get for Thanksgiving?

Oh man!!! More wait time?? :grrrr: That is NOT what you wanted to hear - I've been there. I did find it true about what everyone says. Once your pool is finished, and you get to enjoy it, those frustrations really do float away. Yep, and I still remember how those very words weren't too comforting at the time. ;-) All you can do is hang in there. Remember, you're staying tough about the installation steps, and that will make a difference! Eyes on the target, girl, eyes on the target!

What confused me about the tile and the brown paper (yes - I can read!) was that the tiles look like keys on a keyboard - you know, not all 90 degree edges but slanted a bit. Must be an optical illusion.

Congratulations on getting your tile! Let's hope that little scare is as much drama as you will have for the remainder of your renovation. I'm looking at the pictures of your pool and trying to figure out where you needed to add the extra stair. (Pictures please...:p)

That's a bummer that you will now have to wait twice as long because of one step....UGH. But I understand how important taking your time and doing it the right way is, so it will all be worth it in the end. How cold does Atlanta get for Thanksgiving?

Thanks Tony. I've worked with glass tile a great deal (specified for interiors, mainly) and should have expected the paper, but I seem to be taking everything WAYYYY too seriously with this pool.

I will attach a photo below of where the step will be attached. It's difficult to mark up the photo on this phone, but you'll get an idea. Note how deep the bench is in comparison to the existing steps. I cannot get in or out of the pool without having to sit down first and then scramble up. Not easy since I injured a knee a few years ago (torn meniscus). The first time I stepped onto the bench I had NO idea it was that deep and am lucky I didn't break my neck. The depth is deceiving when it's under water.

I also need to have a handrail installed, but sad about how it will look. Guess I need to get over that. I've tried to think of alternatives ....?

Thanksgiving in Atlanta can be warm or freezing. Who knows anymore? I was being a bit sarcastic ... it will definitely be too cold to swim no matter what. Our finisher thinks we should forgo our solar idea in favor of a gas heater.
1c6eb2291ce1c8fbdc6ca87cc9d0ec5e-1.jpg
Thoughts anyone?

Oh man!!! More wait time?? :grrrr: That is NOT what you wanted to hear - I've been there. I did find it true about what everyone says. Once your pool is finished, and you get to enjoy it, those frustrations really do float away. Yep, and I still remember how those very words weren't too comforting at the time. ;-) All you can do is hang in there. Remember, you're staying tough about the installation steps, and that will make a difference! Eyes on the target, girl, eyes on the target!

What confused me about the tile and the brown paper (yes - I can read!) was that the tiles look like keys on a keyboard - you know, not all 90 degree edges but slanted a bit. Must be an optical illusion.

Mama Suz - you are so right. Thank you for reiterating my vow to do everything right the first time! Still, it's a huge bummer. In addition to needing to exercise daily in the pool and it being hot as Hades during the summer here in Atlanta, being in water is my happy place. It seriously soothes my soul - which may sound crazy to some, but I have a feeling more than a few TFP members can relate.

The tiles ARE angled all around on their backside. I honestly do not know why but suspect it may have something to do with more surface area embedded into Thinset? I will have to find out - and will be sure to report back!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.