Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help finding main drain cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Help finding main drain cover

I bought a house with an older pool (20-30 years old) that has a broken drain cover.

There are no screw holes in the pool drain, the cover just slid into the drain hole.
    I can't seem to find a drain cover like this anywhere.

The drain hole in the pool is 6 3/4" inches across with a lip that is about 5/8" wide. The cavity is about 8" deep with the drain pipe heading out the side.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could find a new cover that would slide into this hole?

Thanks in advance.

broken pool drain cover.jpgbroken-pool-cover.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help finding main drain cover

Inyo Pools is often able to help out with things like this.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You might narrow your search some if you can get a brand off the skimmer lid, assuming it looks original. Builders usually stick with one brand.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Main Drain Cover Replacement | Clear Water Pools, you won't be able to find that cover anymore. As stated above contact Inyo pools for help

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, great and quick responses.

I looked at inyo pools and didn't see anything I could use. I'll try contacting them tomorrow.

Otherwise, looks like I'll have to hire someone to dive and tap some screw holes for a new compliant lid.

Thanks for the help! I've been trying to figure this out for a week.

6. Back To Top    #6

What if you got a compliant cover and added some weight so it was just held by gravity/suction? This may be a terrible plan, but just an idea.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a tempting idea. Someone suggested I also might consider using naval epoxy to repair the old insert ring and glue the compliant lid over the top of it. There's still a screw hole, so I could actually screw the compliant lid into the old one before sliding it into place.

We're hoping to renovate or even replace the pool in a few years so this is only a stop gap until then.

Very tempting...

8. Back To Top    #8

I had that issue at my last house / pool. I was selling the house and it was required to be replaced.

somehow when I bought that house, nobody cared...anyway my realtor (best one in the world and here is why)
    loves scuba diving. He rented an air tank and dove down and replaced it for me and didn't even ask me
    for money!! What realtor does that?!?! anyway he bought some sort of universal one I wish I could
    remember the name, but it went in and i think was some kind of adjustable expansion fit to the hole.

good luck!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks and sounds exactly like the cover I am trying to track down. Let me know if you find anything and I will do the same.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

10. Back To Top    #10

Been a while but finally covered the drain hole.

I ended up getting a new cover that I screwed to the old cover's ring with stainless screws (cut the screws flush so the cover could insert all the way.).
    The new cover I used was from Leslie's. Can't find it on their website, but here's a link to it at Pool Supply Unlimited.

The combined cover slipped snugly into the old hole.
    I have some pictures, but the site tells me I'm over my attachment limit.

Took me a long time to get around to it, but the whole thing took about 15 minutes (after ordering the new cover and picking up the screws).