Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leveling with dirt taken from high side on slope?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leveling with dirt taken from high side on slope?

Has anyone had their installer take the high side of the slope and use that dirt to build up the low side without issues? It is a gradual slope, nothing major but I understand it is recommended to dig down the high side to level with the low side and not add dirt to level. This installer is the company recommended by the local pool store, does ton's of jobs. I asked them, aren't they concerned about settling and they said not at all, the equipment is packing everything down. I live in NJ, with rocky soil. Looking at a 15x30 or 18x33 oval.

Edited to add: The one side is probably just under 2 feet higher than the other side

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Leveling with dirt taken from high side on slope?

I did that with my pond. But it's only 2500 gallons. I used blocks to create a backfill area and then supported it all with concrete and rebar. I did dig down some but only to create the general shape of the pond.

So I would definitely look close at what the supporting structure is going to be...
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Dug down to level on my pool, almost 20".
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

4. Back To Top    #4

The one side is probably just under 2 feet higher than the other side

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSelf View Post
    Dug down to level on my pool, almost 20".
    Did you put in a retaining wall? How much room did you allow to walk around the pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

but I understand it is recommended to dig down the high side to level with the low side and not add dirt to level
    Enough said.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

yea, I am surprised the company said they do this since this is the pool installer the store uses.....

8. Back To Top    #8

No retaining wall. Pool was good for backfilling up against it.End view of pool.JPG
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

9. Back To Top    #9

I will have to take some pictures, but the slope in our backyard is so steep, our 52" high pool is only a foot or so above ground on one side. The pool installers used the dug out dirt to level it up some. My in-laws formerly had a 27', 48" pool (in the same area as our 33',52" pool) for many years (8-10 years) with no problem, and the land had been dug and leveled the same way. I can't say for sure that your pool will be ok, but it has worked on our land, in the same place even, as our current pool, so I didn't have any problems with the installers doing it the same way again.
    Serena 33'x52" AGP, 25,600 gallons
    1.5 HP Pentair Pump, Heyward Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    PH Pen