Leveling with dirt taken from high side on slope?

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
Has anyone had their installer take the high side of the slope and use that dirt to build up the low side without issues? It is a gradual slope, nothing major but I understand it is recommended to dig down the high side to level with the low side and not add dirt to level. This installer is the company recommended by the local pool store, does ton's of jobs. I asked them, aren't they concerned about settling and they said not at all, the equipment is packing everything down. I live in NJ, with rocky soil. Looking at a 15x30 or 18x33 oval.

Edited to add: The one side is probably just under 2 feet higher than the other side

I did that with my pond. But it's only 2500 gallons. I used blocks to create a backfill area and then supported it all with concrete and rebar. I did dig down some but only to create the general shape of the pond.

So I would definitely look close at what the supporting structure is going to be...

I will have to take some pictures, but the slope in our backyard is so steep, our 52" high pool is only a foot or so above ground on one side. The pool installers used the dug out dirt to level it up some. My in-laws formerly had a 27', 48" pool (in the same area as our 33',52" pool) for many years (8-10 years) with no problem, and the land had been dug and leveled the same way. I can't say for sure that your pool will be ok, but it has worked on our land, in the same place even, as our current pool, so I didn't have any problems with the installers doing it the same way again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.