Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: time for a new pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

time for a new pump?

I bought and old house that came with a pool. I am learning as i go.

I started the pump up and the pump was leaking at the gasket between the motor and housing. The pump housing has nothing to identify it so how do I get parts for it?

I have included a pic. You can see the gap in the housing; its large. the pump housing is cracked at the mounting bolts but the pump runs fine.

What are my options here:
    -replace the gaskets
    -can i bolt a new housing on the old motor if i can't get a gasket kit?
    -should i just spend the money and buy a new motor and housing?
    -If i get a new pump...how do i determine the proper flow rate?
    -any recommendations on what pumps i should buy?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15 000 gallons, IG, Vinyl liner, SAND FILTER- Ranger model rs-2015, GAS HEATER- Purex triton minimax plus 250m
    INLINE CHLORINE FEEDER- Pentair model 320, PUMP- Hayward Maxflo VS, filled from potable city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: time for a new pump?

Greetings and welcome.
    First off, it is possible to buy a new seal kit provided you can determine the specs/brand etc. of your pump. At Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com, they can guide you -- they did me The owners are TFP members and very supportive of DIY. The shaft seal etc is called a "Go kit". They also have a video tutorial on how to change the seals.

Next...if you need to replace either the wet end or motor, they sell each. Generally, whatever hp rating you now have will be the way to go...unless you upgrade to variable speed motor...which may be worth it depending on your electrical rate and length of run/season.

To get the right pieces and parts, their online "Questions" section on products responds pretty quickly. Hope that helps!
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. I will check out that site.
    15 000 gallons, IG, Vinyl liner, SAND FILTER- Ranger model rs-2015, GAS HEATER- Purex triton minimax plus 250m
    INLINE CHLORINE FEEDER- Pentair model 320, PUMP- Hayward Maxflo VS, filled from potable city water

4. Back To Top    #4

I contacted INYO pools customer service. Unfortunately, I had no way to identify the pump housing. So, Its new pump time!

What factors should i be considering for a new pump and motor? Any Brand recommendations?