Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any issues with loaded filter sock in pump skimmer basket???

1. Back To Top    #1

Any issues with loaded filter sock in pump skimmer basket???

Greetings all:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so Mods, feel free to move if necessary...

Anyway, I'm in the process of rebalancing after refilling my pool, so I need to get my CYA up. I'm not about to pay the cost of liquid CYA (around $38/gallon at the local pool store), so I've self-selected my way into a granular product.

Since I'd like to get this glop dissolved (relatively) quickly, I'm wondering if I'll have any issues with putting a filter sock loaded with dry CYA granules in the skimmer basket of my Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, then running at low speed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
    18,400 G Kidney Shaped IG PebbleTec pool w/600 gallon attached spa & associated overflow
    Pentair VS DC Pump; Pentair DE Filter, Jandy/Laars Heater, Hayward AquaRite 900 series SWG (new addition...)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any issues with loaded filter sock in pump skimmer basket???

I would not recommend it as it might restrict the flow too much.

You can get it to dissolve within a day if you hang it in a sock (or 2) in front of your return jet and massage it fairly often.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would not recommend it as it might restrict the flow too much.

You can get it to dissolve within a day if you hang it in a sock (or 2) in front of your return jet and massage it fairly often.
    Fair enough. That's what I'll do. Thanks much for the quick response!!!
    18,400 G Kidney Shaped IG PebbleTec pool w/600 gallon attached spa & associated overflow
    Pentair VS DC Pump; Pentair DE Filter, Jandy/Laars Heater, Hayward AquaRite 900 series SWG (new addition...)

4. Back To Top    #4

You can also set the basket in the pool skimmer basket, as long as it doesn't block the flow 100%. But leave the pump basket alone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

FYI, I use 2 large white athletic socks (almost like soccer socks), fill them both up the same amount, tie the tops together and hang them over my brush pole in front of the return jet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    FYI, I use 2 large white athletic socks (almost like soccer socks), fill them both up the same amount, tie the tops together and hang them over my brush pole in front of the return jet.
    I'm rockin' the knee-high stockings that I got at Wal-Mart for less than a buck a pair.....so far, so good!!!