Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Inline Chlorinator Check Valve Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Inline Chlorinator Check Valve Question

Hey TFP Community -

Been a member for quite some time but because of the wealth of info by searching I haven't really had the need to post - so thanks for that!

Onto my question - Getting my pool installed now (30' round Aqua Leader Elixir) and when ordering, I added the inline chlorinator simply because I hate the floating one. (I'm aware of watching CYA levels and Pool School) From everything I read, when you have a heater and a chlorinator that you should have a check valve in place to prevent the highly concentrated chlorine from corroding the heater coils. I believe the CL220 has a check valve in it - would it be overkill to add the separate valve that I bought? Or just ditch it all together because of the hassle?

As you can tell I'm not quite ready to make the leap to pool school. I've used the BioGuard 3 step for years and have had great luck with it albeit spending more money on it. I'm not ruling it out in the future, going to see how this year goes and decide considering I have a lot more pool to chlorinate!

Thanks again for the great info and the awesome site!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Inline Chlorinator Check Valve Question

I personally believe a check valve is a cheap way to protect your investment in your heater, and especially germane using an inline puck chlorinator.

I hope at some future point you consider reserving the inline for vacations or cold water cya boost, because to really use the FC/CYA Chart which is the foundation of TFP, its much easier when the CYA isn't a moving target With that said, we only seek to inform your decisions, not make em
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool Re: Hayward Inline Chlorinator Check Valve Question

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    I personally believe a check valve is a cheap way to protect your investment in your heater, and especially germane using an inline puck chlorinator.

I hope at some future point you consider reserving the inline for vacations or cold water cya boost, because to really use the FC/CYA Chart which is the foundation of TFP, its much easier when the CYA isn't a moving target With that said, we only seek to inform your decisions, not make em
    Thanks! If someone can inform me if I need the check valve when using an inline chlorinator that would be great. I have up until tomorrow morning to decide on whether or not to pull it from my set up.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Hayward Inline Chlorinator Check Valve Question

I have one in my plumbing even though at the moment I do not have a pool heater - I'd love to put another one in. Check valve, then inline chlorinator, then on out to the returns.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter