Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build in Western Massachusetts

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build in Western Massachusetts

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and just began a new pool build. This is all happening very quickly. I spent a few weeks getting quotes and chose a pool builder on Wednesday of last week and gave a deposit. I was told to expect 2-3 weeks for permit approval by my town and then a few weeks before digging would begin. My permit was surprisingly signed off on two days later on Friday and my PB had equipment and crew available to start excavation on Monday. So digging and formation is now complete and the steel walls are being assembled today as well as electrical. I hope this will be fun and informative for you and a helpful forum for me should I need advice.
    IG steel/vinyl 16'x40' rectangular pool, Imperial "Gray Granite" borderless liner, Hayward TriStar VS 900 variable speed pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter, Hayward Summit XL heat pump, Dolphin Apollo Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer, May 2017 build-in-progress

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build in Western Massachusetts

HI! Fun times for you and yours! We would LOVE to see some pics of where you are now!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Also with the pics please include your build plans so we can see your future vision

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

4. Back To Top    #4

April 24, 2017: Initial Sales Pitch

The salesperson brought out a tarp to help me visualize the size. I originally asked for a 16x32 pool which is the size you see here. It seemed too small to me.
    IG steel/vinyl 16'x40' rectangular pool, Imperial "Gray Granite" borderless liner, Hayward TriStar VS 900 variable speed pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter, Hayward Summit XL heat pump, Dolphin Apollo Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer, May 2017 build-in-progress

5. Back To Top    #5

April 29, 2017: Pool Designer Visit

The pool designer came out and staked the new dimensions (16x40) and we went over details.

6. Back To Top    #6

April 30, 2017: Design Schematic

7. Back To Top    #7

Is there a retaining wall or some sort of berm planned to deal with runoff from that garden area or maybe the picture makes it look more sloped than it actually is. Looking forward to seeing your pool progress.

Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

8. Back To Top    #8

May 1, 2017: The Dig

An excavator arrived early in the morning. They used it to remove the deck and dig a big ol' hole. They even used it to move a tree for me (one of my favorites) but ended up really roughing the poor thing up. Hope it survives.

9. Back To Top    #9

Love the "sales pitch" tarp. That is very good way to help someone "see" the pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

May 2, 2017:

This is what we have after the excavation phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
    Is there a retaining wall or some sort of berm planned to deal with runoff from that garden area or maybe the picture makes it look more sloped than it actually is. Looking forward to seeing your pool progress.

Salty
    Hi Salty,
    It's a very mild slope, but it does slope. Do you think it might pose an issue? The PB made no mention of a concern.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Love the "sales pitch" tarp. That is very good way to help someone "see" the pool!

Kim
    Hi Kim,
    The tarp was great. It made me realize 16x32 was smaller than i pictured in my mind.

11. Back To Top    #11

Let the MUD begin!

That slope will send rain run off right into your pool unless there is some kind of wall or large deck drain system. This is something your PB should help you work out.

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

[QUOTE=SebastianC;1216423]May 2, 2017:

This is what we have after the excavation phase.

Hi Salty,
    It's a very mild slope, but it does slope. Do you think it might pose an issue? The PB made no mention of a concern.

- - - Updated - - -

I would at least ask your PB, I'm no expert but if you do get any heavy rainstorms it could be a concern. Perhaps some of the more seasoned veterans will chime in.

Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

13. Back To Top    #13

If concrete on the slope side of the pool you can easily have a channel drain added, drain to the side and exit via a pop-up. See ndspro.com for what options they have. There are a few very slim drains that would blend in, especially on the far side of the pool.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks to all the input about the slope. I will consult with the PB. BTW, we have very sandy soil that drains very quickly here. There has never been puddling of any kind on my back lawn even after heavy rain so we may be inherently less prone to the situation you've all mentioned.

15. Back To Top    #15

May 3, 2017: Steel Walls; Plumbing; Electrical

The steel walls were erected today. Plumbing and electrical has also made headway. It's only Day 3 but it's starting to look like a pool!

16. Back To Top    #16

How exciting! FUN and scary! It is going fast!

You know your yard and conditions. Use your knowledge about how our yard does, with us in the back of your mind being worried about rain runoff into your pool.

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

May 4, 2017: Pouring the Floor

Day 4 and the floor is going in. Guess it's going to take some time because the crew is supposed to be here until 9 pm. Tomorrow it's going to rain all day so it will be an off-day. The rain makes me nervous but I am informed that they will tarp the pool and there won't be any problems.

18. Back To Top    #18

I like how they are making the slope with the boards. Should be very consistent that way! YOu can bet they will do everything in their power to keep their hard work from being undone!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

I like how they are making the slope with the boards. Should be very consistent that way! YOu can bet they will do everything in their power to keep their hard work from being undone!

Kim:Kim:
    That's they way they, Juliano's, did mine 11 years ago. Good PB, you will be very happy with the results.

DSCF3726.jpg
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade, Maytronics Active 30i cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir, WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

20. Back To Top    #20

Kim:Kim:
    Yes, that was part of the sales pitch, claiming it would make a smooth and precise floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
    That's they way they, Juliano's, did mine 11 years ago. Good PB, you will be very happy with the results.
    laprjns,
    Glad to hear you are happy with your results from over a decade ago. Aside from being expensive (or perhaps because of it), things have been going well... and very quickly. One question, I just read that the vinyl liner is supposed to be backed with foam. What exactly is that? Also, could you post a picture of your finished pool? Thanks!
    Sebastian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast