New Opening--here's my numbers (why didn't TA change?)

sandman98

Silver Supporter
Aug 17, 2016
Warminster, PA
Hi All!
New installation started last fall--IG Viking Coronado (15' x 34'). Been reading on this site all winter in anticipation of taking care of our new pool. Thanks for everyone for sharing their knowledge and expertise.

The fence and sod were put in 3 weeks ago, wife and I have been diligently working on the landscaping, and our builder came by Saturday to open for us. He uncovered it, started up the pump/filter, added 2# of 73% Cal-Hypo, and plans to return later this week to go over a few things.

Here's the initial photo from Saturday:
IMG_2280.jpg
I used a leaf rake to scoop out the big leaves left over from the fall, and have been brushing a couple times a day since Sunday. Pump and filter have been running 10a-6p, and appear to be doing their job. Photo from today:
IMG_2290.jpg

Here's my initial testing (from yesterday):
FC 5.6, CC 0, pH 8.2, TA 150, CH 300, CYA 50

So I added 32 oz of HCl (32%), as well as 2# CYA via the sock method (according to PoolMath Calculations). I realize the CYA will take a couple days to dissolve, so I didn't retest that today. Also empirically added 1# 73% Cal-Hypo at the instructions of our builder.

My results from today:
FC 10, CC 0, pH 7.2, TA 150, CH 300

Q#1: Can anyone explain why the TA didn't drop with my addition of acid?

Q#2: I'm planning to use borates for the additional buffering capacity. I have 25# of boric acid sitting here--which should get me around 40ppm according to PoolMath. Do I need to make further pH and/or TA adjustments before adding the boric acid?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lay off the calhypo. Your pool doesn't need a bit more. Go with bleach only until your SWG is up and running.

Your TA will come down over time. Each time you add Muriatic Acid to the pool to bring down the pH, it will pull the TA down a bit also.
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Don't plan on adding borates for a few months... you need to get to know your pool and get its feel with testing before taking that step. And once you do add borates it makes altering your pH and TA more difficult, so hold off.

Congrats on the new pool and upcoming swim season :)

Maddie :flower:

1. The TA test is 10ppm for every drop of the reagent added to a 25ml sample (with TF-100). You really only added enough acid to drop your TA by about 9ppm according to size in your signature and poolmath.

2. I didn't do the math on that one. Use poolmath and go all the way to the bottom and use the feature "effects of adding chemicals." Make sure you have correct gallons plugged in at the top.

And welcome to TFP :)

Lay off the calhypo. Your pool doesn't need a bit more. Go with bleach only until your SWG is up and running.

Maddie :flower:

Understood. I thought maybe the builder had a reason for shocking upon opening.
Now, assuming my CYA is 70 (and until my SWG is up and running), should i target FC to that of manually dosed pools? i.e.

1. Non-SWG recommendation of target FC 8-10 with minimum FC 5, or
2. SWG recommendation of target FC 5 with minimum FC 3.

Water is looking clear and I don't want to screw this up.

Understood. I thought maybe the builder had a reason for shocking upon opening.
Now, assuming my CYA is 70 (and until my SWG is up and running), should i target FC to that of manually dosed pools? i.e.

1. Non-SWG recommendation of target FC 8-10 with minimum FC 5, or
2. SWG recommendation of target FC 5 with minimum FC 3.

Water is looking clear and I don't want to screw this up.
Yes. You're running a bleach pool at the moment, so use the bleach FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.