Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie pool opening

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie pool opening

I bought my pool last year-found this forum and I have been happy ever since! Closed the pool myself in the fall and followed TFP directions, all levels tested perfect, the pool has been crystal clear all winter. In December I removed the winter cover due to the amount of water that was pooling on it, I had a terrible time with siphons, and my brother in law (who has owned a pool for 20 plus years told me he does this) said he removes his winter cover in December and puts a leaf screen on. So I did this. Last Friday I checked the water temperature (under leaf screen) and was surprised it was over 60-which means algae can form, I was going to wait until this weekend to open it since it was still clear.
    Yesterday we got a lot of rain, I looked at the water this AM and it is cloudy probably from pollen? It's not green, but I don't want to wait and plan on hooking up the filter, filling the pool with water to the basket, and turning that on TONIGHT. My question is-should I run the filter by itself for a few days, or should I turn the salt-cell on and see if it needs salt? Should I test the water with my kit and see what the levels are? Slam? Shock? I am not sure where to start?
    AG, SWG, OPERA series, 15 x 26, pool pilot digital nano plus/220V, cartridge filter, May 2016 install.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie pool opening

I'd take FC to match whatever your CYA level is, run the filter all night and do an OCLT. That'll let you know if it organic or not.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!