Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Leak

I live in SW Florida and am losing approximately 1-1.5 inches of water daily. To the best of my ability, I have ruled out leaks from the skimmer, the returns, and the spa. No visible cracks anywhere. I have used food coloring and see no
    tendrils in any of theses areas. I have yet to remove the light cover and will do that tomorrow. But using the food coloring around the light doesnt suggest any leaks. So the question is about the next step to investigate if i have someone come out. Should i have the main drain/seal examined? Should I have someone try to detect an underground/plumbing leak? Thanks
    My pool is inground, plaster, 11750 gallons with an attached hot tub which flows into the pool. We purchased the house at the end of September 2016. The house had been vacant for 7 months. I'm not confident it had been well cared for by the previous owners. This is our first pool. pool is caged

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Leak

What kind of filter/backwash valve do you have?

Many people have their waste line plumbed into a drain line that disappears somewhere distant or into the sewer. If the backwash valve leaks, they never see the water dribbling out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a cartridge filter

My pool is inground, plaster, 11750 gallons with an attached hot tub which flows into the pool. We purchased the house at the end of September 2016. The house had been vacant for 7 months. I'm not confident it had been well cared for by the previous owners. This is our first pool. pool is caged

4. Back To Top    #4

The main drain would be the next place to check for a leak.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Took the cover off main drain. Used the dye test no tendrils. At this point should i assume it it is underground

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are not having any luck, i would let the pool drain through the leak and not refill, this way if the leak is in the plaster/wall, the water level will tell you where to look.

good luck
    Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The tempting place to blame is the hardest to fix.....underground pipes. Keep looking elsewhere first.....it SELDOM is the piping.

Yeah, if it continues to leak below the skimmer, let it go until it stops. That'll usually identify it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

It stopped below the skimmer, returns and light. I used the dye around all returns, removed the light and put dye in light niche and in the skimmer and all around it. Nothing is being drawn in, in any of these openings.

9. Back To Top    #9

What am I missing? No air bubbles in pump. We have been very dry (no rain). If it is in the plumbing I can't even detect that through soggy ground, as it isn't soggy.

10. Back To Top    #10

Wouldn't the lowest object were it stopped leaking be it?
    12,000 gal Free Form gunite/plaster pool, Sta-rite Cartridge Filter, Pentair Easytouch, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair IC40 Intellichlor

11. Back To Top    #11

I would think so. But if it was any of those objects why didn't the dye seep in?

12. Back To Top    #12

Might be time to call a pro. Leak detection companies have special tools for the job.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach