Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fired red brick for ladder weight?

1. Back To Top    #1

fired red brick for ladder weight?

I'm switching out my confer stairs to part of an old plastic/resin pool ladder for the inside of my pool due to algae problems. Back when I had this ladder in my Sears good pool (as opposed to better and best LOL) the instructions said to use a brick for the weight.

Is that still a safe thing to do? I'm not really seeing a way to use a clorox bottle on this. The bottom of the ladder only has a brick-sized rectangular "cubby hole" to stash any kind of weight.

Any other ideas? I could use two and leave one soaking in bleach water and change them out regularly to take care of the possible algae issue, but I was wondering about the other chemistry? Are they fired hard enough to be safe?
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fired red brick for ladder weight?

I'd just go find some river rocks that fit. You know they're nonporous and won't dissolve. Also nicely rounded so if you drop one, it won't puncture the liner.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, ok that sounds doable, and good idea about the corners too LOL.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

In using about 3- 3" PVC pipes filled with concrete to go under my steps. I'll glue both ends once concrete has dried. I read this on another forum.

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the pvc filled with sand. Works great.
    13,500 gal, installed 2006, vinyl, 24' round, AG - sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Lower NC

6. Back To Top    #6

There isn't enough room for anything like 3" unless I attach it to the back/outside. Which might be the best way to handle it as I noticed today my temporary "fix" really wasn't working and I was trying to think of some way to make a better base structure.