Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner install - Pentair ET8

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner install - Pentair ET8

Thanks again to all for the great information provided on this site. I made the decision to install a Stenner pump to handle my chlorine for the pool, all the info I needed was here in different threads. I’ll try to pull it together in one place, or as much as I needed to get installed and rolling

I made the decision to go Stenner and liquid over a SWG due to the initial cost, from there others say the costs may be about equal to SWG’s over time. Everyone’s mileage may vary, but I’ve just read too many threads about the upkeep of the SWG’s and their lifespan, plus many varying stories about damage to stone and deck from salt. In a few years I may change my mind and go salt, but for now – it’s a Stenner and liquid. As a side note our PB didn’t want to do salt (they said they would it if we really wanted but from their experience the upkeep and repair wasn’t worth it). I know, however, that the PB’s don’t always know best and I wouldn’t use my PB to build another one anyway.

I chose a fixed speed pump because I’ve got a good timer setup with the Pentair ET8.. The variable speed pumps also require more maintenance so I wanted to stay away from that. I chose the 45MPHP10 - 10 GPD. It gives me the ability to pump the chlorine I need in about 30 minutes. The best price I could find was at Lockewell.com in Orlando. I bought it online and shipping was quick. It’s mounted outside so I bought the rain hood for it too.

I found a good 15 gallon barrel on Craigslist for $20. The seller had tons of them, so I bought 2 just to have a backup at that price. I spent about 30 bucks for wire, conduit, 220 plug, and a weather box. Total investment about $300 plus my time. I’m somewhat handy and used the good documentation from others here at TFP, so I took on the wiring and adding to the ET8 myself. I used a free relay and redid a couple of other relays so that they would only run if the pool pump was on. If the pump isn’t on, it won’t pump chlorine. I wanted to make it easy to take the pump down if necessary so I wired a 220 receptacle to the relay/ET8 and then plugged the pump in to that. I didn’t cut the plug off to wire it directly into the panel. This gives me the flexibility if I need to take the pump down or replace the pumping tube.

I got the wiring completed and measured where I wanted the tank and where I would inject to the plumbing. I then took an opportunity to test my pumps true output using water. I did a couple of tests and I measured about 1.2 ounces per minute. The pump documentation says it will pump at .89 oz. per minute, so I’m getting a little more than Stenner says I would.

I had studied where I wanted to inject into the pool plumbing. I can get a little OCD with stuff like this and was afraid of doing something that might not work or I’d mess up some plumbing and be without a pump for a day or two. My first preference was to tap the pipe – so I bought the recommended drill bit and tap (23/32” drill bit and inch 14 pipe thread tap.) I ordered those off of Amazon. When I ordered I also bought my backup plan, a 2 inch PVC T with the fpt. The T was my backup if I messed up the tap in the PVC and needed to cut it out, I would put the T in its place. I bought a one foot piece of 2” PVC and tested tapping a couple of holes. Drilling and tapping in my “test pipe” was very easy and as reported the pipe is plenty thick to hold the injector. At the end of the day I had something else I wanted to investigate and it worked. I took the drain plug out of my Nature 2 device (the Nature 2 uses a metals cartridge and holds tri-chlor pucks for chlorination, I don’t use the Nature 2 cartridge any more) – I found it has inch threads on the drain plug. I took the o-ring off the plug, put it on the threads of the stenner injector and it was a perfect fit. I really liked this as I didn’t have to drill or touch the plumbing in any other way. I’ve read this is potentially a hazard should anyone ever use the Nature 2 for pucks again as you shouldn’t mix 2 sources of chlorine at the same injection place. I have no plans to put pucks in and if I need to for some reason I’ll turn the stenner pump off. If I ever sell the house I can always drill the pipe and add the chlorine at my original choice just after the Nature 2 so I don’t leave anything dangerous behind.

I added a few gallons of chlorine to my tank, set up two timers injecting half the chlorine about noon and the other half in the evening. I also added an egg timer and a button to my ET control so that if I ever have a party or a storm or need extra chlorine – I hit the button and I get 15 minutes of chlorine at the touch of a button.

I’ve been running about 2 weeks and couldn’t be happier. I test the water each day and so far I’ve been almost perfect on the FC. if the chlorine starts to creep up or down I’ll just adjust my timers by a minute or two to keep the chlorine at the desired level. The ET8 panel makes using this super easy.

Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner install - Pentair ET8

Greg,

I like it.. Good job and thanks for sharing the pics.

Of course now you will become the Stenner expert...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

No expert, but I do get a bit OCD on my research. I'll help where I can. There are some great people on this site that I've learned from, my pool knowledge just scratches the surface. I researched Stenner last year for a few weeks and then a few more weeks this year before I made it happen.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice job and write up. I like how you made sure the title would be an easy search.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the Stenner club! I installed mine last year, and could not be happier!
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for pulling all this together. I'm getting ready to do a similar setup in the next few weeks and this write-up will help out tremendously. Just one question: any particular reason you went with a 220V Stenner instead of the 110V unit?

John
    10k Gallon Gunite Pool/Spa Combo with Spillover Built in 2017, Pebbletec Finish, Pentair Intelliflo2 VS Pump, Pentair C&C 150 Filter, 294 sq ft Heliocol Solar Heat, SolarTouch Controller, Hayward HeatPro 110K BTU Heat Pump, GloBrite Lighting, Bubbler on Small Beach Area, S200 Robot, Stenner Chlorine Injection, TF-100 Test Kit with Magnetic Stirrer.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by flylegacy500 View Post
    Thanks for pulling all this together. I'm getting ready to do a similar setup in the next few weeks and this write-up will help out tremendously. Just one question: any particular reason you went with a 220V Stenner instead of the 110V unit?

John
    There really isn't. I don't know any advantages of the 110 vs 220 pump, but it seems a few others had purchased the 220 and all of my equipment (other than the lights) is 220 on the pad, so I just stuck with it. There was no price difference in the two.
    Greg -

8. Back To Top    #8

Great job and write up.

The only comment I have is that (in my opinion) it is unwise to inject chlorine into a tab chlorinator. While you know not to mix tabs and liquid someone caring for the pool for you or a future owner may not.

Mixing different types of chlorine in a confined space is dangerous, even explosive.

I would recomend you figure out a way to make sure no tags can ever be put in the clorinator.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Great job and write up.

The only comment I have is that (in my opinion) it is unwise to inject chlorine into a tab chlorinator. While you know not to mix tabs and liquid someone caring for the pool for you or a future owner may not.

Mixing different types of chlorine in a confined space is dangerous, even explosive.

I would recomend you figure out a way to make sure no tags can ever be put in the clorinator.
    Understood. I can still easily drill and tap the PVC, I've got the tools. If I were to do that my plan was to do so in the longer piece of PVC coming out of the heater and before it goes in to the Nature 2. That is a very easy piece of plumbing to completely replace (unions on each end) if something went wrong. However, doing it that way I would still be pumping the liquid chlorine through the Nature 2. Is that still a problem? The plumbing coming out of the Nature 2 has very little room to tap into and I've got very little PVC there to work with should something go wrong and I had to redo part of the plumbing.

The tabs go in a tube in one half of the Nature 2 - that is easily taken out. It wouldn't prevent someone from taking the lid off and dumping tabs just down into the canister though.
    Greg -

10. Back To Top    #10

I am planning on doing something similar, use the drain port of an old Nature 2 device (cartridge only) which I haven't used in 15 years. Where did you source the 15 gal barrels?
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sfpat View Post
    I am planning on doing something similar, use the drain port of an old Nature 2 device (cartridge only) which I haven't used in 15 years. Where did you source the 15 gal barrels?
    A good find on Craigslist. I had looked last fall when I was going to start the project and didn't find any. Looked again a month ago and found someone selling several sizes. These had a spearmint flavoring or something in them, but had been cleaned quite well when I got them. In a area the size of DFW I figured they'd be everywhere, but surprisingly not. The woman I got these from said they came from Tyler, an hour or two away. Maybe we really don't have any big bakeries here (but I know we do) that would use barrels like these.
    Greg -

12. Back To Top    #12

I have been using my Stenner for about 3 years now. I keep a detailed notebook of when I increase or decrease the timing of the Stenner depending on the seasons, temp, pollen, and everything else. The other day I was looking back in my notebook and it is amazing how the timing has stayed the same ( within a few minutes ) the last 3 years at the different season changes. Once you get it dialed in and you learn your pools needs it becomes easy breezy! More time for the pool float and cold adult beverage LOL
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by GDN View Post
    A good find on Craigslist. I had looked last fall when I was going to start the project and didn't find any. Looked again a month ago and found someone selling several sizes. These had a spearmint flavoring or something in them, but had been cleaned quite well when I got them. In a area the size of DFW I figured they'd be everywhere, but surprisingly not. The woman I got these from said they came from Tyler, an hour or two away. Maybe we really don't have any big bakeries here (but I know we do) that would use barrels like these.
    Thanks for the idea of tracking the run times in a notebook. I've got a spreadsheet for my pool, I can track there as I make adjustments to the run time and chlorine added. I'm using the Pool Logger app by RussellC, but to be honest I'm only checking my chlorine now every 2 to 3 days and to keep this as troublefree as possible and not worry about it, I haven't even been logging the chlorine in the app. I know exactly how much it is putting in and I could add it to my app log, but that doesn't give me run times which makes the adjustments even easier in coming years. I'll start my updates in my spreadsheet.
    Greg -

14. Back To Top    #14

With the Texas heat do you have any concerns about chlorine breakdown? How long does the 15 gal barrel last?
    21k IG pebble, All Jandy Pro: VS Pump, FlowPro 1.0, AP 1400 SWCG, JXI400 Heater, iAqualink 2.0, CV580 Filter, 6 led color nicheless lights, Pentair FireFX Magicbowls. TF-100 kit, Taylor K-1766 Salt test kit
    Pool Build Thread - Pool Math - SWCG Runtime Calculator - CL/CYA Chart - Pool School - Recommended Test Kits

15. Back To Top    #15

Personally I don't - I've never put more than 6 gallons in at a time which will last 3 to 4 weeks. I still check the chlorine 2 to 3 times a week and so far no problems. I guess there can be some breakdown, but I try to buy fresh chlorine and just don't buy it too far in advance. It's not out there more than 3 weeks or so usually.
    Greg -

16. Back To Top    #16

I was going to suggest you burry the 5 Gal drum to keep it cool and from breaking down. I would also do it for safety, kids might just want to play with it. Then you can use your other 5 gal drum to make the refills.

Congratulations on your setup.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!