LA Pool build

Thank you ever so much for the kind comments. Callahan3 I am sure you pool is quite lovely. At the end of the day regardless of shape or size Pools are all pretty much the same thing, hole in the ground with water to have fun in. ;)

Here are the latest shots from the big dig. The concrete has been colored with a pewter color which should give it a light silver smoke effect. The wooden forms will be removed tomorrow and eventually be filled with artificial turf. We are going to acid wash tomorrow. The green hue is the shades to protect the concrete from the sunshine. We have quite a bit of that. Underground drains are in as are all the conduits. It's all starting to come together now. Plaster will be a darker shade of French grey (we think ;0)

The spa Benches will be tiled shortly as will the stairs and the completion of the catch basin. Auto water feed is in place. Equipment arrives next week as do the electrics. It's all coming together.

No Kim I didn't watch them work but they are incredibly diligent chaps. Today we finished cutting the concrete after an acid wash and removed all the tarps. Next week we run electrics and equipment. The bar was polished today in order to expose the aggregate. It is fantastically smooth to touch. Like glass.

From my lounge

Polished bar and concrete cuts. Bar will be sealed next week and will look darker. Concrete is a lovely pewter color and matches our terrace

Wooden forms still in the guttering

It's cool and cloudy in SoCal today. Here's a shot of the tile with grout that matches the pewter finish. More bling when the sun shines on it.

More cut work in the concrete

Looking back the other way to the bench. All the soil you see will be artificial turf to break things up a little....

The tree is a ficus. The wall has been built with a pvc root barrier and reinforced concrete and damp course protection. We plan to keep the trees trimmed at 8ft with a 3ft width. We love the blackies tile. Tony. Thanks for the kind words.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are nearly complete.

We are going to Tile the Red Chimney stack next week.

Pumps are in. 3 Jandy EPumps all 2.7Hp

We added a filter to the Infinity trough also.

Air Blower for the Spa

JXI heater. Really like the auto valve bypass which saves electricity.

Main pool filter. Should be large enough

Tile changes color in so many different lights. Here it looks blue grey

A few chairs

Pool has had an additional waterproof coating

A bit of bling for the steps

Why leave out the benches?

Hi Brian. It is a polyurethane aluminized coating with high tensile strength. As for the brand I have no idea sir. They mixed it with a rough substrate (small grit like aggregate) to allow the plaster to adhere. There has been a significant amount of engineering on this build.

Once the pool was shot they used lasers to level the edges when cementing. It was then waterproofed with a black substance. Then waterproofed again with a white coat. This was sanded and checked by laser again. A thin set was applied and the tile was laid. Both inside and outside of the trough were waterproofed with 2 different substances. Thin set was left to cure for 3 weeks under the shade of tarps before they applied an epoxy grout to the tile. The tile was then bubbled and lazered to check level before sealing. Finally they sealed the pool. The builders did the fountains at Glendale Americana and I know they also did Rick Carusos property. They are incredibly meticulous and a pleasure to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh so close! So fun to see. Love your bling - and everything else too. What type of tile on the chimney?

Hi AmyJo. We are going to match the chimney with the tile on the bench and bar. I had originally hoped to go with the bling tile but it just wasn't economical. 100 sq ft. = $5400

Hi Brian. It is a polyurethane aluminized coating with high tensile strength. As for the brand I have no idea sir. They mixed it with a rough substrate (small grit like aggregate) to allow the plaster to adhere. There has been a significant amount of engineering on this build.

Once the pool was shot they used lasers to level the edges when cementing. It was then waterproofed with a black substance. Then waterproofed again with a white coat. This was sanded and checked by laser again. A thin set was applied and the tile was laid. Both inside and outside of the trough were waterproofed with 2 different substances. Thin set was left to cure for 3 weeks under the shade of tarps before they applied an epoxy grout to the tile. The tile was then bubbled and lazered to check level before sealing. Finally they sealed the pool. The builders did the fountains at Glendale Americana and I know they also did Rick Carusos property. They are incredibly meticulous and a pleasure to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi AmyJo. We are going to match the chimney with the tile on the bench and bar. I had originally hoped to go with the bling tile but it just wasn't economical. 100 sq ft. = $5400

That will be so handsome - and I daresay I would prefer that architecturally in the long run!

I'm curious. Was it J&M Concrete? I didn't know they did pools.

One question about your equipment setup... Why a blower for the spa if you already have a dedicated, variable speed pump?

No it's not J&M.

There are 20 jets in the Spa and we wanted to add the blower for the hydro therapy jets. We also like the bubbles. It's a bit overkill but hey what the heck right? ;0)

No it's not J&M.

There are 20 jets in the Spa and we wanted to add the blower for the hydro therapy jets. We also like the bubbles. It's a bit overkill but hey what the heck right? ;0)

After our pool got to be above a certain price (from throwing things in), I seriously considered ditching the project and buying art.

Honestly, I can't believe the money we spend on these things... So, yeah, what the heck. : )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.