Lack Suction at Skimmer when turned to filter vs. other ways

Apr 30, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I've try finding a solution a similar problem with search but hard to find with my situation. .Any help is appreciated.

So, when I backwash or have it on Recirculation, I see tons of suction at the skimmers as well as outward flow back into the pool.
However, when 2 mins of going back to filter, I see it drop in both of suction at the skimmers as well as out back into the pool.

I have a nautilus FNS, Diatomaceous Earth Filter. When I turn the filter on, it says pressure is around 25.
I also tried backwashing for awhile (where there is tons of suction) thinking that would help clear it up, but within two minutes of back to filter - same thing, not a lot of action.

The pool is green would like to try to figure this out.

P.S. - I have the booster pump for vacuum. that is also not moving the vacuum when I turn it on. (polaris)

Thank you.

BrandonIMG_3634.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Lack of water flow within a few minutes, on top of the fact your pool is already green, points to a water flow restriction from that algae. Your filter is doing all it can, but eventually clogging. No filter can remove algae. It has to be chemically treated with the proper amount of chlorine. If pressure increases too fast, you might need to run your system on recirculation for a while until you can remove the algae properly.

So first question - Do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit? If not, I would make that priority #1 then post a full set of results back here so we can help. You need one of those kits to test free chlorine (FC) and CYA (stabilizer) at the proper levels. You can read the links below in my signature and save them to your desktop as well - especially the SLAM link as that is what we use to clear a green pool. Speaking of which, don't forget to update your signature. :)

Nice to have you with us.

Brandon,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your green pool issues... :snorkle:

Your filter is doing what it is supposed to do and that is filtering out all the algae and other dead debris in your water.

The fact that it works in recirculate mode proves your pump is working fine.

The problem is that when your pool is green with algae, the filter gets filled very quickly.

The solution is to turn your green swamp into a clear swimming pool.

To do that you need to do a couple of things..

1. Read our Pool School, link at top of this page.
2. You also need to be able to test your own pool water to determine what needs to be done to your water.
3. To do step 3, you need one of the recommend test kits.. Either a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006C and yes the "C" part is important..

When was the last time you actually opened and cleaned your filter grids? Backwashing will only remove about 75% of the old DE..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Pat. I wasn't sure I can add the algae killer without the filter running. I also just figured, i probably need take apart the filter and clean it. We've lived here a year, and I've never done that. I've added shock, but was waiting to add the algae killer to find out advice here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I'll check out pool school. Any reason for the pump booster not moving the vacuum.. Could that be related to everything else? Thank you!

It's fine to run the filter for a while on recirculate as we understand your water probably has a lot of algae in it and you haven't really treated the water chemically yet. But just to be clear, make sure you only use "regular/plain" bleach to increase your FC (Free Chlorine) level. Even then though, you'll need one of those recommended test kits to properly test that increased FC level. Over the counter products only go to 5. You'll also need to know your CYA (stabilizer) level because the FC is balanced to the CYA according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Never use any pool store miracle products. They really don't work as advertised and cost lots of $$. Bleach is the only way to go.

As for the vacuum, it has nothing to do with the algae. What I would suggest is to start a new thread in the "Pumps, Filters, Plumbing" forum with a title something like, "Vacuum Pump Not Working". Something like that so experts can answer that issue separately. We'll keep this thread specifically to address your water chemistry and clogging filter.

Hope that helps.

Brandon,

Your booster pump just adds to the normal return pressure going to your cleaner. If you lack flow from your normal returns, the booster by itself can not drive your pool cleaner.

If the booster pump is running, the main reason your cleaner is not running is your clogged filter.

If the booster is not running then that is an entirely different problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.