Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: will higher FC make SLAM go quicker?

1. Back To Top    #1

will higher FC make SLAM go quicker?

I started my SLAM of the year, and at the time, I was out of the CYA reagent, so I trusted the pool store to test it, and it came out at 45, which was about the same as last year. I based my SLAM on that, and used 18 as my target FC. My FC loss numbers are all over the place compared to previous SLAM's. So I finally got my reagent, and ran my own CYA test, and it was 30 or even a bit less (the kit doesn't go lower than 30, but I could still see a faint dot). So with a CYA of 30, the FC shock level would only be 12, but I have been keeping it at 18.

My question is - does using a higher target FC shock, make the SLAM go faster, or is there no correlation to that?

Regardless of the answer, I am frustrated with this SLAM, as my first SLAM lasted 10 days, 2nd lasted 5 days, but this year I am at 15 days, and still lost 4 ppm from last night at 8 PM to this morning at 7:30 AM.

All other numbers are within range.
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Liner 3 yrs old, Intermatic PF1103T Timer w/ Freeze Protection, K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: will higher FC make SLAM go quicker?

No, higher FC makes your chlorine dissipate quicker. FC decays on a percentage basis. It is best to test as often as you can and raise it back to shock level. Every 2 or 3 hours in the beginning if you can. This year seems a lot more pollen-y, I've had higher than normal FC consumption and had to ramp my SWG twice and add bleach a couple of times when FC dipped down below target.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: will higher FC make SLAM go quicker?

I wouldn't go over 3 or 4 points higher than the chart if you can't add frequently enough.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!