Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do with antifreeze in the filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do with antifreeze in the filter?

Hi all, this is my first year opening my new pool. I have never had a filter that stayed outside in the winter with underground lines. The pool builder put antifreeze assuming it was pool antifreeze) in the lines when he closed it.

To open it, what do I do with that? Backwash before running the filter? I thought I read somewhere that it just gets blown back into the pool. That doesn't seem right to me though? Want to be sure before I put something in the pool that shouldn't be there

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter S166T with 1.5 hp 2 speed Variflo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do with antifreeze in the filter?

Just let it go into the pool. It's not enough to make a difference

Vinny B
    IG Plaster 20x40
    Jandy 1.5hp cartridge filter
    Chlorine pool mineral set up/no longer using
    test kit k2006

3. Back To Top    #3

I use my wet dry vac to remove as much as possible. Then vacuum to waste for first opening.

I saw one post here where the person suggested opening one jet at a time, and directing return water with a hose outside the pool!

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt
    20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Chlorine will break it down, so nothing wrong with letting it blow back in to the pool. If it is easy for you to shop vac it out or flush any to waste though then that will save you some chlorine in the long run.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a 1.5" x .75" galvanized bushing with a .75" mip x female hose adapter to push the antifreeze out. Just be careful not to cross thread the plastic threads on your return lines. This way you don't freeze your hand off trying to seal the hose in the return. I don't drain my pool below the returns like many do.

17K Gallon,IG Vinyl,1hp Pentair Challenger,Pentair TA60 Sand Filter, Hayward Colorlogic,Re-lined 06-20-15, TF-100,SpeedStir,Lagunitas and Margaritas. Zappafan Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

The first thing I do after I hooked up the pump from winter storage is to switch the valve to vacuum to waste,pull return and skimmer plugs, prime pump and turn it on. Everything in the lines will go out the backwash line.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everybody!

8. Back To Top    #8

Is there a difference between vacuum to waste and backwash?
    New construction- April 2016
    1st time inground pool owners. 20x40 oasis shaped vinyl liner. Gli gerano 28 mil liner. Sr smith typhoon slide. Pentair 5g color changing light.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes backwashing is the act of cleaning the sand in your filter. Vacuuming to waste the water is diverted out of the multi-position valve without entering the filter.

17K Gallon,IG Vinyl,1hp Pentair Challenger,Pentair TA60 Sand Filter, Hayward Colorlogic,Re-lined 06-20-15, TF-100,SpeedStir,Lagunitas and Margaritas. Zappafan Pool Build