Backfilling Dirt Against New AGP

Jeff_O

Mar 13, 2017
AR
Greetings, noobie here! I just had an 18'X33'X54" AGP installed and there was 18" of grading needed to get the site level. The installers said to just push the dirt back against the pool after it filled. I have concerns with doing that specifically around corrosion of the wall and weight against the wall if/when the pool needs drained for a liner replacement. Below is a partial pic of the pool site.

I inquired at the pool dealer and they're supposed to get back with me. I thought I would see if anyone might have some input on this. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1655.jpg

It should state in the installation/owners manual for the pool if you can backfill against it. A lot of pools allow backfill of up to 2 feet. Some AGP frames can be completely buried. Put a layer of sand between the pool and the soil which will help prevent the finish on the metal from being scratched but rocks in the soil and help water in the soil drain away from the pool instead of building up there.

I know the codes are different everywhere but if you still need to get it inspected for a permit, don't backfill. They will fail you as the rail needs to be a certain height from the ground. I backfilled after inspection since I'm going to be building a deck on the shorter side anyway which negates that.

Thank you for your replies! It seems the general consensus is that a back fill below 24" is acceptable so I should be OK in the long run.

Does anyone recommend putting down a plastic barrier between the pool wall and sand/dirt back fill?

OK, the pool dealer called me and said I'm good up to 36" to backfill. No sand or plastic needed. Thanks again!

I'll be testing water soon and starting that adventure ... along with building a deck. Let the fun begin!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.