Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-plumb Equipment Pad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-plumb Equipment Pad?

Hi all,

I recently purchased my first home with a pool and am planning on installing a Hayward AQR15 system / check valve / sacrificial anode. I've been reading up on best practices for equipment plumbing become a bit suspicious of some aspects of the existing plumbing and am thinking about re-plumbing the entire pad while I do the salt system install and address some of the pad drainage issues. Before I make too much of a mess, I'm hoping some of you can give me a sanity check on some of the issues / areas for improvement I think I'm seeing. To give some additional context, the pool was built in 1986, the pad is located below water level and had about 18 inches of mud/debris built up around the equipment (pumps and heater are on blocks and above the previous mudline).

[IMG][/IMG]

1 - Different Sized Suction Plumbingerent size plumbing. The main drain is 1.5' pvc, while the two skimmers (these appear to be a later addition) are on 2' PVC, before being reduced to 1.5' after the ball valve.

- Would there be any downside to running both on 2' PVC to the pump? I'm planning on replacing both valves with Jandy 2-way valves, assuming I have space to move the pump back a bit and get a decent straight away, would it be overkill to also throw a Jandy three way before the pump? All return lines to the pool are 2' PVC.

Attachment 59824Attachment 59825Attachment 59826

2- Pool Heater Plumbing

Am I correct in assuming that this plumbing is way more complicated than it needs to be? I'd like to eliminate some of these unnecessary turns. Also - it appears that heater intake line is reduced from 2' to 1.5'.. before being brought back up to 2' at the intake port? IMG_1609.jpgIMG_1610.jpgIMG_1611.jpg

3- Sand Filter

While the plumbing for the sandfilter seems normal, I am getting some sand picked up in the polaris each time I empty the bag. The steady-state pressure is 20 psi after being backwashed. I'm assuming the sand is from the high pressure, and the high pressure could be being caused be constricted return flow in the heater plumbing?

Appreciate any advice!
    35k Gallon Rectangular Gunite Pool, 1hp Jandy SQ1102 pump, Hayward S310T Sand Filter, Sacrificial Anode, Hayward AQR15 Salt System, Dolphin Robotic Cleaner
    **Pending install: Raypak RP2100 Heater P-R406A-EN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-plumb Equipment Pad?

Having trouble uploading photos - this link should have my whole setup

cmlalo88's Recent Uploads | Photobucket
    35k Gallon Rectangular Gunite Pool, 1hp Jandy SQ1102 pump, Hayward S310T Sand Filter, Sacrificial Anode, Hayward AQR15 Salt System, Dolphin Robotic Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Just looking at that plumbing, I'd replumb it all. I can't tell exactly how the plumbing and equipment is laid out, but if warranted, I'd even consider rearranging the equipment.

As for the heater plumbing, it looks as if they had a different heater initially and replaced it, and the new one had flow opposite of the old one. That bothers me the most of all the pics.

If you're relatively sure that the sand you're getting each time with the cleaner is from the filter, you most likely have either a multiport issue or a broken lateral. You'll need to check that out to figure out which it is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Whoa boy, that is some ridiculous PVC work!

The heater section seems ripe for some rework and should make incorporating the salt cell into the flow post heater easier as well.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Just looking at that plumbing, I'd replumb it all. I can't tell exactly how the plumbing and equipment is laid out, but if warranted, I'd even consider rearranging the equipment.

As for the heater plumbing, it looks as if they had a different heater initially and replaced it, and the new one had flow opposite of the old one. That bothers me the most of all the pics.

If you're relatively sure that the sand you're getting each time with the cleaner is from the filter, you most likely have either a multiport issue or a broken lateral. You'll need to check that out to figure out which it is.
    Heater has definitely been replaced at some point. Appreciate the advice!

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with what has been said so far. So many coupling and so few unions.

I'd like to add that your electrical wiring going into your heater is a mess, so there are likely other electrical issues too.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would definitely raise the Pad, no need to work in that mess. There are 2 screw metallic type valves that if you are going to use SWG, don't need to be there. You should work all pipe in 2" definitely. +1 on Unions on the pump, heater, SWG, and filter. I would also disassemble the sand filter and inspect for broken parts. The sacrificial anode has been debated a lot and the main conclusion is that is not a necessity you can add it later if you need to.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
    I would definitely raise the Pad, no need to work in that mess. There are 2 screw metallic type valves that if you are going to use SWG, don't need to be there. You should work all pipe in 2" definitely. +1 on Unions on the pump, heater, SWG, and filter. I would also disassemble the sand filter and inspect for broken parts. The sacrificial anode has been debated a lot and the main conclusion is that is not a necessity you can add it later if you need to.

Felipe
    Definitely going to raise the pad now that I'm going to replumb and take apart the sand filter. Thanks for the catch on the old metallic valves - hadn't even occurred to me.

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, make sure you put a check valve after the heater outlet and before it attaches to the salt cell. You don't want any of that highly concentrated salt backtracking into your heat exchanger.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP66 View Post
    Also, make sure you put a check valve after the heater outlet and before it attaches to the salt cell. You don't want any of that highly concentrated salt backtracking into your heat exchanger.
    You've lost me on this one (maybe I'm thick), but the salt concentration isn't changing pre or post SWG.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah there's no point in putting a check valve between the heater and the salt water cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    You've lost me on this one (maybe I'm thick), but the salt concentration isn't changing pre or post SWG.
    Everything I've read says to place the check valve between the heater and SWG - purpose isn't salt concentration, but to prevent the high concentrations of chlorine generated by the SWG from backtracking into the heater. Same philosophy behind RayPack saying you shouldn't put chlorine pucks in the skimmer baskets.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by fender22 View Post
    Everything I've read says to place the check valve between the heater and SWG - purpose isn't salt concentration, but to prevent the high concentrations of chlorine generated by the SWG from backtracking into the heater. Same philosophy behind RayPack saying you shouldn't put chlorine pucks in the skimmer baskets.
    +2

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

14. Back To Top    #14

I guess this falls into the what could it hurt category. Post some pics when you make some progress!

15. Back To Top    #15

The problem with that logic is the SWG does not generate any chlorine when the pump is not running so if it's not generating there's no high concentration of chlorine that can even back up and in any case it's not a very high concentration of chlorine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

The only thing that it hurts is adding head loss which lowers your flow rates at a given pump speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The problem with that logic is the SWG does not generate any chlorine when the pump is not running so if it's not generating there's no high concentration of chlorine that can even back up and in any case it's not a very high concentration of chlorine.
    Point noted - would this be an issue with some SWG systems more than others (assuming the AQR is higher quality than other systems)? My RayPack heater had been neglected by the previous owner and I would like to prevent any more damage than what has already caused by the poorly maintained water chemistry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    I guess this falls into the what could it hurt category. Post some pics when you make some progress!
    Will do! Trying to get all parts and planning in order so I can knock out in a weekend and not have too much downtime on the circulation.

18. Back To Top    #18

The lack of a need for a check valve between an swg and a heater is not dependent on the brands. There is just no point for it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Have a few more questions if you guys will continue to humor me -

Any ballpark on how long my pool go can without filtration/circulation before turning foul? It's pretty shady most of the time if that has any impact.

With downtime in mind, I'm thinking about temporarily taking my Raypak RP2100 gas heater out of the loop so I can reverse the heat exchange in the unit and temporarily move out the way to work on that half of the pool pad. Also assuming it needs cleaning / maintenance given some of the staining in the pool. Does making a connection where the PVC is overlapping (giving a decent run prior to the booster pump connection) look like it would cause any issues?

[IMG][/IMG]

20. Back To Top    #20

If you keep adequate FC levels in the pool by adding bleach and brushing to mix it in, then the water should stay algae free, but it will get dirty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast