Would I need to redo my wiring if I went from a single speed pump to a dual speed?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Currently I have a 1.5hp single speed Pentair Whisperflo pump. I live In Louisiana and our electric cost are on the lower side here. I may be able to get one or two more seasons out of this one, but soon I will have to get a new pump. I was thinking about replacing it with dual speed pump when it goes out. My current setup has the pump wired to an Intermatic timer (and my SWG is also wired to that same timer). My questions are:

1) Will I have to get someone out to redo the wiring to go to a dual speed pump? Wasn't sure if I could just wire it up the same way my single speed was wired to the motor.

2) How do I control which speed I want to use on the pump? Is there some type of manual switch on the pump itself for low or high flow? Or is this wired to some type of control panel that I will have to add and wire into my current setup?

Thanks!

That's righ, the wiring to the pump is the same. There are two options. You can order a switch when you order your pump that mounts to the end of the pump and manually select between lo and hi. Or you can get a time clock, like Intermatic, that is made to control a 2 speed pump and it will swith between hi and lo at different times.

That's righ, the wiring to the pump is the same. There are two options. You can order a switch when you order your pump that mounts to the end of the pump and manually select between lo and hi. Or you can get a time clock, like Intermatic, that is made to control a 2 speed pump and it will swith between hi and lo at different times.

Seems like it would be easier for me just to put the switch on the pump and control it manually since 90% of the time I would just run it on the low setting for SWG and filtration use. Only time I would need to switch it to high would be when I wanted to use the heater or water features (which is seldom). Do you know what part number or name of the switch I would need?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.