Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Led lights piping

1. Back To Top    #1

Led lights piping

There starting to dig my pool tomorrow. I requested all 2" sch 40 pipping on all my suction and return lines. But I didn't think to request hard pipping for my Led lights. I was not home when he dropped off all his supplies. Along with the 2" hard pipe was 2 rolls of 1 1/2" flex. My guess is that's for the lights. If it is should I request hard pipe or would flex be ok?
    Mike
    16500gal FG Pool, 16x40 Lesure Cariban. 2.5hp Hayward ECO VS, 325sq feet Hayward Cartridge Filter, 140k btu Hayward HeatPump, AquaPlus Automation 40k SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Led lights piping

Are you having a spa installed as well? Inch and a half is a bit big for wire conduit. Ask your builder what the flex pipe is for they wouldn't spend the money on it for no reason.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

No I don't have a spa but it does say 1 1/2 spa flex. If it's not for the lights I'm not sure what else it would be for. Guess we will see in the morning. But if it is for the lights would flex be ok or should I request hard pipe?
    Mike
    16500gal FG Pool, 16x40 Lesure Cariban. 2.5hp Hayward ECO VS, 325sq feet Hayward Cartridge Filter, 140k btu Hayward HeatPump, AquaPlus Automation 40k SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid-tight conduit is acceptable for the lights -- very expensive . If its not liquid tight then its not acceptable. They should use rigid PVC electrical conduit -- it is cheap. They have some that are somewhat bendable. That is 2014 code. 2014 code is what is adopted in WV. Its NEC 680.23 (B)(2)
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Best to ask the builder spaflex pipe is water pipe not electrical conduit.

For electrical conduit flexible conduit is only to be used in short lengths where ridgid conduit is impractical.
    Chuck-

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys for your help. I will be sure to ask about this first thing in the morning.

I would be SOL with out this website.
    Mike

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't mean to imply liquid tight flexible conduit wasn't ok for installing your pool light because it is. Pool lights is one of the places ridged conduit becomes impractical.
    Chuck-

8. Back To Top    #8

1-1/2" flex on my pool is used for feeding the "water falls" (if you have those).

For the pool lights. I would think 1" or 3/4" rigid PVC would be preferable. Rigid would be easier to pull the light cord through (and if future light replacement is need, since the inside is smooth).
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

9. Back To Top    #9

Its much easier to pull wire thru liquid tight conduit than rigid conduit there's no hard 90's in the flexible stuff and no fitting joints to fetch up on.
    Chuck-

10. Back To Top    #10

The flex conduit was not for my job. He just through it off his truck here. But that being said he was not planning on using any conduit for my lights. But he is now.
    Mike