Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Alk.

1. Back To Top    #1

Total Alk.

I have a question, why would a pool store, whom I thought was fairly competent, tell me that I need to raise my TA to a minimum of 125 ppm......Its sitting at 90 right now, and I actually thought that It should be lowered to about 80.....

Even his spec sheet when he pulls you water chem. says TA should be 125-150 ppm....
    17,200 in ground Vinyl pool......
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total Alk.

Because pool stores are in the selling business like any other store. Don't forget - they are stores, not pool consulting businesses. Never buy the chemicals and the amounts they recommend to you. Use the knowledge you acquired at TFP .
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Total Alk.

Because they assume that you are using trichlor and that would be an OK TA range for trichlor while 90 would be a bit low.
    I bet they also say that a CYA of 30 ppm is ok for a salt pool! (it isn't!).

The software that does the printouts is dumb (as are many of the people that work in the stores. They can read the printout but really have no real understanding of pool chemistry. I am always amazed at the number of pool store employees that do not even own pools!