Chlorine test does not seem to be working on k-2006

Apr 22, 2017
Austin
I am trying to get my pool back to sparkling green after all the oaks have dropped there junk and also realizing I had algae.

I just bought a new test kit. Taylor k-2006. I have a 21,200 gallon in ground, plaster pool.
Tested green water and had high CYA (70) and and high CH (400) so I decided to empty water to steps where I had visible black algae and scrub it with a brush and chlorine tab. Added water back.

CYA (36) CH now (260) but my Alk was 180 and PH was close to 8. I added a container of muratic acid to bring down ALK and PH. Tested and PH was 7 and alk was 50 and now my FC was about 7. Running water feature to raise PH again. I waited 30 minutes and started adding chlorine to try to SLAM the pool. I added 7 128oz 8.25 chlorine over about 30 minutes.

Now my trouble is I can't get an accurate reading for FC and the other tests work but do not seem to be as clear. My water sample turns bright red immediately after adding R-0870. I have added more than 30 drops of r-0871 and it does not change the color at all. I have done this test several times over a day and a half and I still get the same result.

I am not sure if the test or reagent is bad, or does not test that high. Should have been around FC 34 assuming my earlier tests were accurate.

My water is clearing but still cloudy. I added another 128 oz of bleach just to make sure I have a high level assuming test is off.

What should I do next. My most recent results are:

FC ??- still bright red after adding R-0870
PH 7.4
ALK 100
CH 260
CYA 36

:confused:

Hi Nancy, and welcome! :wave:

Your FC is high, quite high. You simply didn't push it far enough to reach an endpoint (where it turns back clear on this test) So, you need to run it again, and add drops until it does. It isn't your reagent, you just have a very high level of FC. Are you using a 10ml sample size for the FC test? If not, start doing so on the next one.

How big is your pool? And would you please add some details about your pool to your sig line so we can help you better? Size, type, basics about equipment, like sand filter and such. Let us know what you get on the new FC test ok? Glad you found us, and we will help you get this back to nice and clear.

I just redid the test using 10ml and added 44 drops of R-0871 before I got a result. Which would mean my FC is 220 ppm.

My FC was at 7 according to this same kit before I added 896 oz of 8.25 bleach yesterday morning and then adding another 128 oz tonight. It does not make any sense for my FC to be this high.

According to the calculator 1024 oz of 8.25 should raise FC by 30 ppm and this has been over a 2 day period when my CYA is only 36. I think my reagent is too weak.

I tried to do a signature with pool info but it is not attaching to my reply.

21200 gallon pebble tech plaster pool with stone along water edge.
Spa waterfalls into pool.
Pentair Intelliflow variable speed pump 2.5 hp
Pentair 400 k MasterTemp heater
Pentair 36" Sand Filter with glass media
Polaris 280 with 1 hp booster pump shared with other water features
Delta UV Sanatizer

As Jason says, your FC is 22. Where I am confused is how you get a CYA of "36"? Does the dot disappear somewhere between 30 -40 and you are saying 36? Don't equate “just a little over 30” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. Always round up to the next number, in your case 40. Now, if a pool store told you 36 we have other issues.

Moving forward you want to keep the filter running 24/7.

Test and readjust the FC to 16 as often as you can each day. Always use PoolMath to calculate how much to add to get to your target.

Brush the pool each day.

If you have a digital camera, stand next to the pool looking down at the steps and take a picture each day in the sun. This will give you a record of the progress.

Thanks you for setting me straight. I see my mistake on the math. Wow I am going to go thru a lot of reagent in a hurry at this rate. Any good places to buy a larger refill online?

Yes that is exactly how I got my estimate of 36 CYA. My pool does not get too much direct sun,with lots of large oak trees all around, so I would like to keep my CYA no higher than it is now.

This morning my FC was still 22! That is good
My PH is 7.6
MY ALK is

Is the cloudiness only dead material that needs to be filtered out or does that mean there is still algae that needs to be killed? I like to use slime bags to help clear my water more quickly, but I don't want to use them and get live algae in them.

I think that I am good because my FC this morning was still 22, PH was 7.6 and ALK still 100.

So I still need to keep it at 16 for a week while brushing 2/day?

When I am done stabalizing the pool, should I try adding Borates?

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.