Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to add chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

When to add chlorine

We had to ship our SWG back for repair so we are adding chlorine for the next week or two.

If we can't test the chlorine daily are pucks a good alternative, We can probably test every 2nd or third day.

Also, if the pool is used mostly in the morning to afternoon, is there an ideal time to add chlorine?

Thanks
    40x24 round/kidney shaped, IG 28k gal, Built in 82, 2017 Resurfaced pebble tec. Hayward DE Filter DE2420 1.5hp, Hayward SP0710XR50 Vari-Flo Pool Valve, marathon motor 1.00 HP, 1.50 SF, 1.50 THP, Circupool SJ Series 40,000 and Dolphin nautilus pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to add chlorine

You can add clorine and then get in the pool. So anytime is a good time to add clorine. You can even swim when slamming, even though it will be hard on your swim suits and skin.

I don't test my clorine but just a couple times a week also. If it isn't keeping clorine in the pool there is something else wrong.

May/2018 AGP Coleman 24x52 vinyl, 13.6k gallons, Harris H1572228 Vortex 16 inch Above Ground Sand Filter System with 3/4 HP Pump, PoolBlaster Max, TF-100

Run pump 24/7

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: When to add chlorine

Add chlorine whenever is convenient, so long as the pump will be on for an hour or so afterwards. Running yours 24/7 seems like massive overkill. I get by with 2 or 3 hours a day depending on season plus whatever it gets while I'm vacuuming.

Whether or not pucks are a good idea depends entirely on your current test results. Besides adding chlorine, trichlor pucks will raise CYA levels and are very acidic, so your pH and TA will both come down. Do you need any of that? If you don't, you're just creating grief. If you get too high on CYA, then you'll be wanting to replace some water, but when you do that, you'll need to replace the salt you lost as well. And who wants to be constantly chasing the pH and TA with borax and baking soda?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!