Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Leak

Back at it from the winter.

p1.jpg

Have a small leak at the pump. Right next to wear my finger is in the image.

Any ideas?

p2.jpg
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Leak

Looks like a basic pump seal failure. You could try snugging up those 4 mounting bolts a little to see if they loosened at all. Otherwise, look for a seal kit for your pump model and replace.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Looks like a basic pump seal failure. You could try snugging up those 4 mounting bolts a little to see if they loosened at all. Otherwise, look for a seal kit for your pump model and replace.

Thanks. I'll give the bolts a try. Any tips for identifying my pump if I need a seal kit? (I think I have a Hayward Super Pump.)

Is a salt specific kit like this worth it?
    Saltwater Tune Up Kit Hayward Super Pump - GOKIT3SALT
    Saltwater Tune Up Kit Hayward Super Pump - GOKIT3SALT - INYOPools.com
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

INYO has a good tutorial on how to do this...I'm in the same boat

How To Replace a Pool Motor Shaft Seal - INYOPools.com
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for responding SW... I thought I had...

I don't have direct experience with a salt water kit being necessary. The website says that salt water can be more aggressive to rubber seals but at the relatively low salt concentration of pools, I'm not sure I buy it. For a pool situation, pH and proper chlorine use would have more effect on a seals durability than salt, imho.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Smile Re: Pump Leak

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Thanks for responding SW... I thought I had...

I don't have direct experience with a salt water kit being necessary. The website says that salt water can be more aggressive to rubber seals but at the relatively low salt concentration of pools, I'm not sure I buy it. For a pool situation, pH and proper chlorine use would have more effect on a seals durability than salt, imho.
    I had a similar thought and went with the "regular" seal kit. If I decide to switch to Dead Sea levels of salt I'll reconsider.

7. Back To Top    #7

Seal plate gasket/o-ring or shaft seal would be my guess. Either way you will need to take those 4 bolts out (if tightening them up a little doesn't work) and inspect the gasket around the seal plate and the shaft seal. One or both may be bad.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG