Leak at top of pump

MiaOKC

Apr 15, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Opened the pool last week and there's a small leak at the top of my Hayward pump. I turned the white fitting at the top clockwise and that was actually loosening it (I think, it got much worse when I did that) so I switched to clockwise and that slowed the leak back down but it still leaks, probably slightly worse than it started. I'm afraid to crack the fitting, am I doing this properly?

Attachments

• IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 9
You need to undo the black union nut and free the fitting on the pump from the PVC above. That black union nut should only ever be tightened by hand or a strap wrench. If it leaks when hand tight then there’s a problem with the o-ring seal.

You should NEVER use channel locks on a PVC nut, that’s a surefire way to damage or crush it. Use a proper plumbers wrench on it or an open-end wrench if you have one in the right size. A good quality strap wrench can work too.

You need to remove that bushing adapter and see if it’s cracked or the threads are damaged and replace it as-needed. Use a layer of teflon tape on the threads and then liquid teflon sealant (non-hardening) on top of the tape. Tape on its own doesn’t always seal properly.

Thank you for the insight. I do have a plumber's wrench I think might fit, I will try to take it apart this weekend and examine the threads on the bushing adapter. I may have messed up the existing teflon tape by turning it the wrong way initially.

Thank you for the insight. I do have a plumber's wrench I think might fit, I will try to take it apart this weekend and examine the threads on the bushing adapter. I may have messed up the existing teflon tape by turning it the wrong way initially.

Best to use tape and liquid teflon thread sealant (non-drying). One layer of tape and the wipe it with the liquid teflon then screw the part in place. The combination of the tape and the liquid makes a completely water tight seal. I’ve done this many times on household water supplies (way higher pressure than pool plumbing) and I’ve never had a leak.