Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Belgard pavers on a large patio deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Belgard pavers on a large patio deck?

Has anyone used these? More importantly, had success? The sand washes out, and they don't look great. Looking for repair ideas for filling in the gaps between the pavers. TIA

21,000 gallons (pool and spa), IG, pebble tec, pentair clean&clear plus CCP520, pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Pentair model 320 Rainbow auto chlorine inline feeder, built in 2016. TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Belgard pavers on a large patio deck?

Did they use polymeric sand? Once in place, you wet with water and it sets up similar to grout. But I have read that pavers need sand added every 3-5 years. We have a user who I know used Belgard just recently in her St Augustine FL build. I forget her user name.. Swim something? I would use the search function and look up Belgard.
    37.5x17' 19.5k gal Shotcrete 3.5-7' w/sunshelf, 18" 7' spa with stone, Stonescapes Tropics Blue w/iridescent mini glass beads and abalone, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Swimclear cartridge 200 sq ft, 40k SWG, Pro Logic automation, 3 Colorlogic lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa), 2 LED bubblers, 4' LED sheer decent on raised wall, Hayward 400k BTU heater, 1500 sq ft Silver Travertine French pattern deck, Lightstream tile, 34x56 Mansard screen cage

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks
    Yes, polymeric sand.
    It never did set properly/ harden.
    The PB was not happy with me, there was constant sand washing out into pool and on top of pavers, painful!
    What a mess
    They tried 3 times to 'fill the gaps' but each time something didn't work properly.
    I showed PB the spots: he said 'looks fine to me'
    Ughhh
    Looking for someone with paver experience to help repair, or use a material that will stay put.
    We do get a fair amount of spring rain.

IMG_5907.jpg

21,000 gallons (pool and spa), IG, pebble tec, pentair clean&clear plus CCP520, pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Pentair model 320 Rainbow auto chlorine inline feeder, built in 2016. TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh wow I see what you mean. Is that flagstone?

We have a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who should be able to help. I wonder if the grout lines are too wide for polymeric sand? Hopefully someone will chime in here for you.
    37.5x17' 19.5k gal Shotcrete 3.5-7' w/sunshelf, 18" 7' spa with stone, Stonescapes Tropics Blue w/iridescent mini glass beads and abalone, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Swimclear cartridge 200 sq ft, 40k SWG, Pro Logic automation, 3 Colorlogic lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa), 2 LED bubblers, 4' LED sheer decent on raised wall, Hayward 400k BTU heater, 1500 sq ft Silver Travertine French pattern deck, Lightstream tile, 34x56 Mansard screen cage

5. Back To Top    #5

No, those are the belgard pavers!
    Can't remember the name, but made to resemble natural flag stone I think.
    I have worse spots, that's the one photo I found.

6. Back To Top    #6

Geez I would be so frustrated too.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here it is when it was recently fixed
    You can see General idea, but you can already see the washed out spaces.

:IMG_6709.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

And it was the most expensive option! Sold as 'trouble free' stone. Nothing but trouble.

9. Back To Top    #9

It is beautiful! Except for the fact the joints are washed out.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I agree with Shantelly. The gaps look too big for polymeric sand. I'm also not an expert on that.

Soon, I'm going to to add polymeric sand to my travertine pavers. Most are set so close it will be a challenge to get the sand in there. From my layman's research, I'm going to use PolySweep polymeric sand by SEK. It's more expensive, and about an hour's drive to the closest dealer, but the info I found convinced me there are poor grades of polymeric sand.

A member from Austin built his pool last year. I'm pretty sure he used the same Belgard pavers (same pattern. His member name is 'ummgood'. I haven't seen him on this year, but you could send an email through tapatalk (I don't know how to do that). Or, his build thread might mention if he used the sand or not. If you can't find it, I'll be on my computer tomorrow and can get it for you then.
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Ha! I think I just learned how to copy and paste from my cell!! I know, most of you are not impressed, but I am!

My how time flies. His pool build was 2 years ago. On p. 24, post # 476, he mentions polymeric sand being used. I don't know if he had any problems with the sand.
    Good luck!

Yet another Texas pool build!!
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Ha! I think I just learned how to copy and paste from my cell!! I know, most of you are not impressed, but I am!

My how time flies. His pool build was 2 years ago. On p. 24, post # 476, he mentions polymeric sand being used. I don't know if he had any problems with the sand.
    Good luck!

Yet another Texas pool build!!
    Suz I'm impressed ! Lol
    Please pm me on how you can link from a cell, me and Kim were discussing and couldn't figure it out.
    Sorry to hijack the thread

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
    Suz I'm impressed ! Lol
    Please pm me on how you can link from a cell, me and Kim were discussing and couldn't figure it out.
    Sorry to hijack the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BBCode Shortcuts

Kim and Will, above is a link for short cuts on how to enter pics, links, bold text, etc. It is called BBCode. Reference the middle column.

For example, to enter a link with your own words to click on like I did, you do:

[url = your link pasted here] Your link words [/url ] but with NO SPACES.

That's a fancy way to link. You can just long press the URL from the browser page, select copy, and then long press in the reply box on here (actually my phone has the little curser that has a blue tear drop showing me where it is and I can just press the tear drop once and it gives me the option to paste) and click paste like so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

There may be a more straight forward way but I spent years posting on bulletin boards and just learned what to type to link photos, etc so that is how I do it. Hope that helps.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Thank you, Will!

And thank you, Shantellylace! I could not have explained it like you did. I accidentally stumbled onto the blue teardrop thingy method. I'm good (or bad, when it causes big boo-boos) at tapping around on the screen to find what I want. Now, thanks to you, I'll be able to do it again without experimenting! Lol!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks guys!
    Yes, maybe a different brand of sand will work better.
    The gaps here are precut and made into the Belgrade pacers, in fact they are cut on top of the pacer so that the sand can look like grout. However the PB tried, most of the spaces Becker hardened! And washed out during the next rain !!

16. Back To Top    #16

Belgard Pavers!!!

17. Back To Top    #17

In the picture that you posted, it almost looks like the location of the washing out is directly below a roof-line - I can't quite tell as there's very little of the roof and what looks to be a support post in the picture. Is there water coming off of that roof, landing on the pavers, and eroding the sand? If so, could you use a gutter to prevent it from happening? I know very little about pavers, but we're in the process of using some Belgard blocks to build some pieces around our pool, so this thread caught my eye...
    Derek - November 2016 Build, Fill, Cover, and Close. Starting Equipment for the first time in Spring 2017: 26K IG 20x40 Vinyl, All Pentair: IntelliFlo VST 2, Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, MasterTemp 250K NG Heater, GloBrite LED lights, Autelis Automation Integration, CoverStar Leading Edge Automatic Cover, Dolphin Quantum Robotic Cleaner, Interfab G-Force 2 slide, Interfab T7 diving board

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi
    I haven't had a chance to go through my photos, AMD wasn't home to take more, but...
    Yes, definitely along that roof line, there was immediate wash out. However, other parts of the open patio have the same if not worse result.
    It has been very disappointing.
    I even had the local belgard rep come out to see and he said it was bad!
    However, Belgard does not make the sand, nor do the contractors work for them!