Raypak 266 vs 336

Jul 24, 2015
STAMFORD, CT
Hey Everyone, I'm somewhat new to the forum, I usually stick to searching to find what I need to know. Such a huge inventory of knowledge on this board, but I didn't have that much luck this time around. It seems everyone just says to go with a large 406 BTU heater. The pool without a heater sits around 76-78 (to cold for me) throughout the summer (located southwest CT) and we don't swim often, so i don't expect to use it often, though we have a new addition to the family who will prob use the pool more when she is older. Its alos not fun having guests over who feel the pool and go "Expletive no, way to cold". i feel like I'm nickel and dimming, but was wondering if i will truly see a noticeable difference between the Raypak PR266AEP and the PR336AEP. The increase in BTU's seems pretty small. I have an old kidney shaped pool and Im starting to upgrade all my equipment, based on my signature you can see how old everything is. The pool is plumbed with old school black flex poly, it doesn't even have a stripe on it, so I'm sure its not even meant for a pool. this pool is super old and still has the old metal return flanges. My big concern is at 1.5 inch piping it will only provide 42GPM of flow. I am also thinking of putting in a VS pump, the 266BTU will activate and heat with flow as low as 25GPM, where as the 336 will activate at 35GPM. if Im using a lower speed (once i buy a new pump), but want to heat at the same time, would it not be more beneficial to go with the 266BTU heater?

Big gas heaters (300K - 400K BTU) are great for little spas where you want to heat the water fast (like in 30 minutes), make it real hot, and where you won't need the water to stay hot for hours on end.

For pool heating where you only need the water heated a few degrees (like 10 or so) and want to maintain that heat all day (or month), a heat pump and/or solar heater is much more economical. These heat slowly (so you need to cover pool at night or run pump/heater continuously) but that's still cheaper than sending a lot of hot water all at once with short heat bursts throughout the day to maintain the water's temp.

I would go with the Raypak, 266k btu heater. I have the Raypak P-R266-A-EN-C and it's plenty to heat my approx. 21k gallon pool. I keep the pool at 84 during the week and 86-88 on the weekends depending on how much sun is out when we're swimming (no solar cover used either). I skipped the VS pump. In our short pool season it would take me many years to recoup the cost difference. It cost me $138 to run the pump for the season at 6 hours per day. If you run the pump 8 months per year it will pay for itself; 3 or 4 months it won't. I'm in southern NY and it's open 15-16 weeks per year. I am told the VS pumps are much quieter so that is a plus if noise is an issue ($ was my only concern).

I thought about a heat pump, but I've been told its not the most reliable option in the northeast, especially when you may even want to extend you swim season. We are really only guaranteed 8-10 weeks of strong warm weather, and after that it may get too cold at night for a heat pump. I appreciate your input everyone, my pool doesn't really have direct sunlight either, only in the morning for about 2 hours, kind of nice when its super hot out, but not great for keeping the pool warm, I do use a solar cover as well. I think it sat at 80-82 for maybe 1-2 weeks last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.