Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How deep is your deep end??

1. Back To Top    #1

How deep is your deep end??

Curious on your depth? With or without a diving board...our deep end is 8.5 feet, we do not have a diving board...but we do have a waterfall raised ledge the kids like to jump off...
    In-ground Arizona free-form pool; 35 ft x 16 ft; depth: 3 ft / 5.5 ft / 8.5 ft; 22,985 gallons; 15-inch Baja step, approximately 8x11 feet; Kona Blue Pebble Radiance finish; Walnut travertine; Autumn Leaves stacked stone; in-floor cleaning system. Build start: 2/2017. My pool pics: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ild-in-Arizona

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How deep is your deep end??

6 feet without any diving board. We didn't want people diving and also wanted to avoid having an abrupt drop-off along the bottom of the pool.
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

3. Back To Top    #3

7 feet. I have a big sign that says no diving and explain that first thing to new guests.

Miss my old pool...it was a 9 foot diving well.

Still though, happy to have, what I have.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

7ft.

If I jump off the top of my rock waterfall and do a cannonball, my bum hits the bottom of the pool. Not hard, mind you, as the water is enough to slow me down, but diving is dangerous in a pool that's not designed for it even if a diving board is not present. The human body can move quite quickly underwater when diving as opposed to simply jumping in. There are minimum design constraints for diving pools (well depth, maximum allowable floor angles, head room, etc) for those very reasons - to protect a diver against head injury.

Best to always have a sign around a pool that states "NO DIVING" and make sure all guests and children are properly instructed. I've pulled my kids out of the pool and have made them sit out on 15min penalties when they disobey the rules. Embarrassed the heck out of my oldest son once when he did something stupid and I pulled him out while his friends got to stay in and play....he hasn't broken a pool rule since.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is 7 to 7.5 feet. Some day the deep end will be the shallow end with a 4" deep lounging area stepping off to 2 feet then getting deeper to 4 and back to 3 at the current shallow end. We just don't need a pool so deep as we mainly just hang out in it with cocktails with the kids being grown up there's no need for all that ruckus anymore! Of course dollar wise this is in the long term not the near term.