Pentair pump keeps shutting off with drain error, even though the baskets are clear

Apr 16, 2017
Dallas, TX
HELP!!
For weeks now and actually periodically for months- 2 year old pool, my pump shuts off with error and causes the system to not circulate. I have checked for air...leaves..., water seems to fill the basket fine, but then kicks off!
Today, I noticed that I could turn on the air blower to the spa and the cleaner, and the waterfalls, and the pump seems to stay on. Then I noticed that after shocking the pool (due to no chlorine circulation for almost a week) I got the pump to work and stay on, but the spa is yuck, and not getting any circulation!
I hate this pool, it has never been 'no hassle' as advertised.
I have a new Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS. Please help

Last edited:
J,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your new pump issues... :snorkle:

This is the downside of having the SVRS option... Sigh. The pump basically thinks that something is blocking the input line to the pump and is shutting down.

So, either the pump is bad, and since it is new should be covered under warranty, or there really is a problem with the input line.

My guess is that you have a plumbing issue, or a plumbing design issue, but that is just a guess.

How about providing us with a couple of pics of your equipment pad, showing the valves on the input side to the pump and another showing the whole pad.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

What is your current filter pressure?

What color is your water?

Does your pool have an automation system?

How do you currently chlorinate your pool?

Thanks for posting and looking forward to your answers,

Jim R.

See answers below

Unfortunately our Pool builder is a jerk and doesn't return phone calls because the large $150k large pool/ patio job had many other small issues that he was tired of dealing with.
This is te first time that the spa is not circulating. The pump has done this many times (but never for this long) and somehow I always get it to work for a while.

How do I post photos?? ;-) (I'm on mobile version)

How about providing us with a couple of pics of your equipment pad, showing the valves on the input side to the pump and another showing the whole pad.
I will take photos tomorrow of the equipment/ valves.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?
3 wks ago
What is your current filter pressure?
About 40
(The dial is in 'clean filter' range). But we had a pool guy come and clean it about 3 wks ago.
I never have opened the filter thing- have always paid a service to do it. And I wasn't here when they did.

What color is your water?
It was cloudy blue/green
Spa is now bright cloudy blue.

Does your pool have an automation system?
Yes

How do you currently chlorinate your pool?
Auto Chlorinator with stacked tablets.

But since no circulation recently, I put in 2 scoops of chlorine granules and almost gallon of acid. (The chlorine test showed almost no chlorine prior)

40 PSI is high for filter pressure. Filter may be clogged up with that blue muck or algae. You may need to shock you pool with liquid shock to clear the water and the filter.

Is it possible that you could be low on water as for the pumps can sometimes suck more from a skimmer when the water is low and get air in the pump and that shuts it off.

I thought that was high too
But I'm newby and can do things if there is a knob or handle, but big wrench thing- scares me! Lol
Water is full and I even added water to the spa.
Do you find it odd that when I turned on the 'air' to the spa, that I was able to keep the pump on?
Now the pump has been running all day, and it is spa that is still, motionless.
Btw: once I turned the cleaner off and air off, the pump shuts off again. But now with the cleaner on- it will stay on...
Does any of this make sense?

7e4296150fe9a69aa750ef5418846cc8.jpg
60280c3ec71b4fcefa8fa31372df0459.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julz,

Ok... Based upon your answers here is what I think..

You have been using 3" chlorine tablets which have over a period of time has increased the CYA level in your pool to a point that a normal amount of chlorine will no longer prevent algae.

The reason your water is not clear is because of the algae and this same algae is what is quickly clogging your filter.

With the filter clogged, the weak flow through the pump causes it to go into the SVRS safety mode and shut off.

Sorry, but I have more questions..

1. What type of filter do you have?

2. Can you please post a couple of pics of your equipment pad?

Thanks,

Jim R.

If I reset the system at the panel- then turn on the cleaner, then go to the small 'pool pump' panel and hit reset...
Then the pump (and eventually cleaner) will come on, which is why the pool looks a lot better!!!! As you can see in pic, but the spa is still not circulating- thus cloudy and blue.
During the summer we put the granules into the pool in addition to the tabs- but didn't over the winter, as the pool co said only needed when hot/ sunny.

Questions:
Why isn't the spa circulating?

Why do I need the cleaner on to keep the pump on?

The spring 'fall' caused a lot of leaves and debris, but after that, I had pool guy clean/ chemicals (3x in march), and clean filter also.

Ughhh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Julz,

More questions and something you can try..

1. Does your spa "normally" overflow into your pool?
2. I assume you have an EasyTouch Automation system. If so, do you also have the ScreenLogic system to control things via your PC or phone?
3. I see you have the Intelliflo pump (a great pump). Do you know what speed it is running when the filter is at 35 to 40 PSI?

So, looking at your pics it appears to me your valves are in the Pool position with the Spa shut off. These are the two automated valves..

Please try pushing the "V" button and selecting the Spa mode.. I'm interested if both automated valves turn about 180 degrees from their current position.

Then push it once more and see if it goes into the "spillover" mode.. (It may not..) If it does water should overflow into the pool.

Then pushing it again should return it to its current position.

I'm just trying to confirm the automated valves are working.

I still think the main problem is a clogged filter.

Jim R.

Hi.
Yes I have the easy touch, but not the phone capabilities (that I know of).

It does often overflow, but honestly don't know if it does all the time.
Yes, I have hit the V button yesterday while trying to find anything that would help, and the valves moved 180, then back again when I hit again.
But... for spa mode, the pump doesn't work. The pump shuts off, like usual.

The spillover mode didn't work either, as nothing flowed through spa.

I agree
Question is:
If the filter is clogged, and the guy did clean it as he said he did in March, what could possibly make it clogged again? Those leaves/ tree droppings in March?

Also, I'm sorry but what is cya?
(In my business it means something else. )
And why are the chlorine tabs not enough?

I don't have any idea what the speeds are set at. They set it
When installed.
Is that why the pump works when cleaner is on, Because it runs at higher speed...

:goodjob:Good job. The pressure at 35 was definitely a problem. That's pretty much maxed out for that pump.

The filter must have been really bad.

The pump is probably running too fast most of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.