Help with the Mother of all Drainage Issues!

Perhaps a decorative dry creek bed and embed a dry well/catch basin at the 'end'. Some slotted corrugated pipe underneath the creek bed that leads to a buried garbage can with large stones and holes drilled into it. This will give the water a place to hold momentarily in case of torrential downpours. Stormwater is polluted and I would rather have it filter through my yard sediment than put directly on something.

c930527b7ae13206a09dace148d55a81.jpg

This is a DIY friendly site I found that gives you a feel of getting started, but your water issues need a step more. Take with a grain of salt: Installing a Catch Basin and Dry Well System
I would bury deeper and use slotted pipe (with a pipe sock over it). Also, with corrugated drainage, you need a gravel around it but that's where the dry creek bed comes in. It is decorative, but also serves a purpose.

It seems Oklahoma City could definitely use a stormwater contingency plan!! From the interwebs:
"The normal annual precipitation for Oklahoma City is 36.8 in. The normal water-year-to-date precipitation in Oklahoma City on April 23 is 16.24 in. At 12.05 in., the water-year-to-date precipitation as of April 23, 2017 is 74.2% of the normal water-year-to-date precipitation. The most precipitation historically falls in June, at 4.9 in. The least precipitation normally falls in January, at 1.3 in."

You have an incredible amount if water to deal with and it should not be your problem. I would find an attorney that specializes in these problems. It seems this should have been disclosed in detail during the sale.

If I installed an additional grate drain I would make it huge and have it two feet wide. The original grate is a good idea but totally inadequate especially after a few leaves stick in it.

Last edited:
Hi Jen,

It's good to see you :). Thanks for the link on the gravel beds. I like and I think we could utilize some of that around here. Also, great info and resource on the rain levels.

I'm hoping to see an update on your build! I'll be checking your thread.

Crystal

I have rain barrels at all of my down spouts. Unfortunately, even when empty they fill up really fast during a gully washer. And once full, they are no help in drainage. Mine never drain completely and the water in the bottom can get pretty nasty so I would be hesitant to put any in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be hesitant as well.

I don't know if this would be a problem in actual practice, but shingles are often treated with copper to prevent fungus growth. I wouldn't want that copper going into my pool.

Drainage Solutions Phase One:

Got the first rain barrel installed on the basement sump pump today! This is incredibly exciting in my world!!! I am going to link a second barrel tomorrow so that I have 180 gallons of water storage. The sump pump spits out water periodically every day and night, but when it rains this thing spits water out non-stop. The water is clean and I've tested it. Seems to be pure ground water. It's been going into the yard via a jerry rigged gutter contraption and contributing to the existing drainage problems. But now I am collecting it and putting it straight into the pool. I have to put a lot of water on this pool when its hot and sunny, so I'm hoping this will reduce some of my water usage.

Pics!IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

You have a basement under that HUGE house????? How many square feet do you have to clean???? :shock: oh my! LOL Is the basement finished?

So you will NEVER be able to safely drain the Beast due to your high water table.

Nice job! Step by step your will have solved your flooding and will be able to enjoy a good lighting show instead of dreading it!

Kim:kim:

Yes there's a basement. Not many in Oklahoma but back in the day some people tried to have one. Of homes that do have them, hardly any are finished because they all get water in them. Mine is not finished. It's just a storm shelter. But a nice big one with two entry/exits so no claustrophobia! The house itself is 3800. Luckily Paul likes to clean! I have a pool to pilot!!!

Getting as much water off the flooding side of the house is gonna help. Paul has some contracting lined up to deal with the driveway area. More on that later!

Wow... that's a tough situation. Though not nearly as bad, we had a significant problem with water coming down our yard across the patio and into the pool during heavy rains right after construction was completed. We ended up having our landscaper install a pretty significant french drain across the upper section of the patio to catch water coming down our yard (about 100 yard length). The water is absorbed into the french drain and any excess is taken via a 4 inch pipe down around the pool and to a popup drain.

The contractor says it should handle a few hundred gallons per minute with the grade he set the pipe and discharge location. Plus the french drain itself has a large storage capacity.

Here are a few pictures before it was installed (water flooding the patio) and then of the system installed. I will try to get some better pictures for you tonight.

Here is a good calculator that tells you the gallons per minute drainage piping can handle.
https://www.prinsco.com/resources/drainage-calculator-by-pipe-size/

RC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We do not have nearly the problem you have. I think you are taking a good approach. We put in drainage to the bottom of our yard, it works ok... We have a dry well (hole with stones of various size) at the end and I'm thinking we could have doubled the sized.
My first thought regarding the flow of water is to stop it, (easier said then done). Good luck with the city. Not sure how much financial and engineering sense it would make to regrade the front portion of the driveway and build a beam.

This is looking up the street where the water comes from. You can see it is a straight downhill slope right into our driveway. By the way, there is no curbing and no under street drainage in this entire neighborhood.

This is what caught my eye.

Do you have an elevation map? First thing I would do is where do I want the water to go, and where it's coming from. I don't mean just where you see it, but basically water wants to flow high elevation to low elevation. Then I'd work on how to get it there.

RC....Thank you so much! I am working with the calculator. I'm getting an idea of how much water I'm dealing with. We've had several storms lately. So the grey rock is the area where the french drain is? That looks great! I have looked at many different types of these on google searches. I love that rock look and I have a couple place where I could do something like that. What is the price range for something like this, if you don't mind saying?

Crystal

- - - Updated - - -

Poolnorthernva....I have looked at many different types of dry well scenarios on line and this is certainly something I am considering. We are about to do some work around the driveway. My neighbor has his humped up with asphalt. I guess it helps his. Good to know on the size of the drywell. I'm sure bigger is better in this situation.

Crystal

- - - Updated - - -

shakham...I have been doing a lot of observation during storms and after to try and discover just that. An elevation map is a great idea. How would I get one? Does a surveyor come out and make one? There is really just one low area on the property and its on the opposite side of where the problem occurs....of course!

RC....Thank you so much! I am working with the calculator. I'm getting an idea of how much water I'm dealing with. We've had several storms lately. So the grey rock is the area where the french drain is? That looks great! I have looked at many different types of these on google searches. I love that rock look and I have a couple place where I could do something like that. What is the price range for something like this, if you don't mind saying?

Crystal

- - - Updated - - -

Poolnorthernva....I have looked at many different types of dry well scenarios on line and this is certainly something I am considering. We are about to do some work around the driveway. My neighbor has his humped up with asphalt. I guess it helps his. Good to know on the size of the drywell. I'm sure bigger is better in this situation.

Crystal

- - - Updated - - -

shakham...I have been doing a lot of observation during storms and after to try and discover just that. An elevation map is a great idea. How would I get one? Does a surveyor come out and make one? There is really just one low area on the property and its on the opposite side of where the problem occurs....of course!

Crystal,

No problem on the help. We paid $1,250 for the French Drain. That included 75 feet of the perforated pipe, river rock and about 40 feet solid piping to get the discharge down around the pool.

The landscaper was already on site for all of the patio work, so the pricing he gave me was aggressive.

Here are a few more pictures I just took. Ignore the 3 azaleas that didn't survive the winter, they are getting taken out tomorrow.

[URL=http://s131.photobucket.com/user/rccarps2/media/20170520_184234.jpg.html][/URL]

Check the survey that came when you bought the house. If nothing there, go to the city and dig up any records they may have. It may not be specifically for your property but they may gives maps for your area. I have lived in 2 cities in NJ and both had maps for the entire city.

Once you have it, you can figure out what you are really dealing with.

There are so many different ways to deal with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.