Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using well water to top off my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Using well water to top off my pool

I am on a 'why is my water bill so high' kick and am looking at my pool. My pool is not-covered, in full sun, and in florida. I end up putting a couple of inches in every now and then depending on rain and weather.

I did a rough estimate of how much water I use when putting 2 inches of water in my pool. My quick calc seemed to be around 700 gallons. (my pool is 17K gallons). My local city water is $14.25 per 1K gallons (water and sewer rate together). So by my estimate, one top off costs me around $10.

Now I have a well for gardening. My highly scientific test of the well water is that it is clear and has a very slight sulfur taste.

So my question is, what would be the impact of using the well water in my pool?
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using well water to top off my pool

Strictly depends on the iron content of your water. What is that number? Having to constantly use sequestrants could easily offset the cost of topping off with city water.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Using well water to top off my pool

Is there a kit or something for testing iron? That isn't in the regular pool water test kit.
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida