Filter pressure

36,000 gallon pool. I have flow adjustments on all 3 returns along with adjustments on 2 skimmers and main drain. Running a sand Hayward system. My question is I c most say apps 10 psi is quit normal for pressure filter. With all my valves open I run about 3. I am having some clouding issues and was wondering does the sand filter work best under 10 psi. And if so can I just equally adjust returns to accommodate this.
Thank u guys so much. I have learned. So much reading. All of u r a ocean of knowledge and very much appreciated.

HI! So glad to see you here at TFP!

Each pool is SO different that it does not matter what pressure MY pool runs. It only matters what your pool likes. So long as your filter is clean and you have pressure at the returns then YOUR pool's clean pressure is 3. Once it gets 25% over the clean pressure you know you need to clean the filter.

The clouding issues very well may be the beginning of a algae bloom :shock: That is how mine started last year when I did not pay attention to the water temps in the spring.

Do you have a test kit yet? If not look in my siggy below for the one I like.

Kim:kim:

Robert,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all "under pressure" pool owners.... :wave:

We really need more info from you... Is this a new pool? If not, has your pressure been about 10 before or has it always been about 3? Is this an AB pool or in-ground pool? What kind of pump do you have? What size filter?

Filter "pressure" is really backward from what most think. In most cases, lower is better. The pressure gauge on the top of the filter is reading the amount of effort it takes to force water through your filter. The higher the pressure the harder it is for water to get through the filter.

This pressure is also influenced by the type of pump you have. If this a new pool with a variable speed pump, then 3 pounds is about right if the pump is running at a slow speed. If you have a large single-speed pump then 3 PSI, sounds low to me.

Let us know more and we will try to point you in the right direction..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank u for the responses. New pool to me. 36,000 gallon inground. I have great suction at skimmers and all 3 returns are doing great pressure wise. I had just been reading thru threads and noted most Spoke of about 10 psi with normal operating pressure. I was of course concerned about 3-4 psi.
I have a Hayward system 1.5 hp with the pro series 24" s244t filter.
I already feel better just reading the few response I've gotten.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.