Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Water Levels are always too low in the morning.

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Water Levels are always too low in the morning.

I have my Pool pump set to turn on 2 times a day. 10-11:30am 4-5:30pm

Our pool skims water and the pool and spa (waterfall) shoot out water to keep the cycle moving.

But in the morning on random days the spa water levels are so low that the top step is exposed to the sun. Once and a while I refill the spa with water just above the top step.

Why does this happen? Our pool water levels are not low.
    23,000 Gallons Plaster Pool & Spa (1989). Hayward Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed). Cartridge filter. Kit Tester: Taylor K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Water Levels are always too low in the morning.

Sick,

Post a pic of your equipment pad.. Most pool/spa system have a check valve to prevent what your are seeing.

They can fail and also get junk in them.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm taken a few pictures, posted them on imgur.

http://imgur.com/a/9vcDK
    23,000 Gallons Plaster Pool & Spa (1989). Hayward Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed). Cartridge filter. Kit Tester: Taylor K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sick,

Just below your Timing Control Center box is an outlet. Below the outlet is what I think is a check valve.

Take the gray cap off and see what is inside. Most likely a spring and a rubber valve of some type.

Inspect it and see what you can find. If nothing, just lube it up and put it back together and try it again.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

As I was opening it i could feel alot of pressure. As the pressure released I was able to take the cap off and put it back on.

These are the pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/IcOqZ

Also, can you explain to me what i'm actually doing here? What is the issue? The spring is kind of bent, but i'm not sure if that's an issue.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sick,

So it is a check valve, as I thought..

Ok, your spa is above the pool, so gravity will allow water to flow backward into the pool. Basically the check valve prevent this.

I assume the valve is leaking.

I have not seen that specific valve, but I suggest you Google it and see if parts are available.

It could be it just had a little junk in it. I'd reassemble and try it again.

Jim R.

7. Back To Top    #7

So after getting Aladdin Magic Lube. Lubed up the inner tube that holds on to the spring, and it seemed to solved the problem. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Sick,

Good job...

Thanks for the feedback..

Jim R.