Bath mat under ladder

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I read on here a few people used bath mats with the 'suction' feet underneath their ladder. My wife is worried that when I put them down and then take them out of the pool during closing in October that the suction will be so strong after 6 months I can tear the liner.

Please reassure me that it won't tear the liner. Thanks

Has anyone had a problem removing after 6 months.

Do I need to remove it monthly for cleaning? I'm not sure I can because the ladder will be screwed into the top rail so I can move the ladder to remove the bath mat. Thanks

Unless your liner is old or brittle, there wouldn't be much risk of tearing. I would be apprehensive about having a suction bath mat on the bottom for other reasons. There would be limited circulation under the mat so it could be a problem area for algae to get started unless you regularly lifted the mat and gave it a good brushing on the underside.

My liner is brand new, not sure I can remove the mat though since the ladder will be screw into place. hmmmmmmm

I'm a little nervous that one day it could tear the liner. Any other ideas to go under a ladder?

On a side note, you have a 1 HP pump? I have a 1Hp pump for a 5,000 gallon pool. Is that overkill or not a big deal

- - - Updated - - -

darn it, I just threw out my excess wall foam. great idea though. I may just buy a regular ladder mat. I'm very nervous about the bath mat suction

I have used a bath mat under my ladder for the past 4 years, liner 5 years old.Same mat, but might replace this year

It also has the suction cups.
Like everything else in this world that is made to work a certain way, it doesn't 100%, it will stay below ladder but at times will move away with any force against it and have to be re positioned.Those cups all don't hold at the same time for extended periods.And unless you measure your ladder out with a Shillelagh Missile laser for deck to pool bottom,, there will be some flex up and down to pull mat out for cleaning if at all needed.
Better than those P.O.S mats from pool supply, about as good quality as the inflatable hammers from a local week-end carnival which I think make the winterizing tubes.
I clear mat will turn white in a week, pull it out and a few days later will be clear again if out of water,No idea why.
No algae underneath ever.If the suction cups split the liner, it is time to get rid of the liner anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply rajung. I did a little 'test' in the bath tub. the suction cups don't adhere as well when completely submerged as when the tub is dry. I guess I'll use the bath mat under my ladder. Since the suction isn't as strong I can't see it ripping the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.