Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, pump turns off after a few minutes!

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool, pump turns off after a few minutes!

Hi there, I have a new system I am attempting to set up for a very small above ground intex pool. I have a proper Waterway 1/8 hp pump which is wired through a spa heater, the wiring was done for me by an electrician neighbor of mine. We just connected up all the hoses and got the water flowing through all the hoses but after a few minutes the pump stops running. When I disconnect and reconnect the electricity the pump starts again for a few minutes, then stops. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Orlee

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, pump turns off after a few minutes!

The pump might be overheating. Is water flowing strongly when the system is running?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool, pump turns off after a few minutes!

At first the water wasn't flowing strongly because the hoses weren't set up the right way around but we quickly switched them around and now the water goes through very strongly, but only for a few minutes before it switches off again. It did seem to be getting hot the first few times when water wasn't surging through. What do you suggest?
    Thanks so much,
    Orlee