Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When is good time to open?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool When is good time to open?

Hi All,

I have a 12 foot round 4.5 deep above ground steel wall pool.

Not sure when to open for the season. I live in Northern New jersey and I'm thinking mid-May with 2 weeks to get the water balanced and hopefully swimming by Memorial Day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: When is good time to open?

What is the current water temp?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm right on the state border in Rockland County so we have the same temps. I assume you have a solid cover on the pool and if it was closed with proper chem balancing last year with clear water it will be clear upon opening. That's a fine time line. I open then too. You can swim Memorial Day if it's warm enough. The AG heat up pretty well. I was typically swimming that holiday weekend when I had my AG (13 years). One note, a solar cover will help keep A LOT of pollen out of your filter and keep the heat in at night.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

4. Back To Top    #4

We take off the cover by mid May but start circulating and balancing the water in early May to get started. We make sure the trees are finished dropping all the spring buds and pollen.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (25mil expandable vinyl liner) ~11,000 gals. Deep end main drain. SkimLine Deluxe Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. Added Salt and Borates. No longer 'pool stored' 7 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Best to open before the water temp gets to 60.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach