Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairhope

1. Back To Top    #1

Fairhope

Site looks like a great source!
    New pool owner in Fairhope, AL. I intend to maintain myself. Hopefully info on the pool will show up in my signature. Pool should be complete in the next week to (10) days. I am ready to pool the trigger with testing kits:
    TF100 Bundle
    Speedstir
    XL Option
    K1766
    Buying online from TFTesting (unless someone recommends a better source).
    Look forward to "DIVING IN" & seeing what we have gotten ME into.IMG_1189.jpg
    Thanks
    5600Gal, IG, Plaster, EcoSelect Clean & Clear 320, Eco Select Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC20 Salt System, 04/17/2017

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Fairhope

Welcome to the forum

We'll offer any chemistry help you might need. I have a dog in the fight, but the TF-100 remains the best value in pool testing you can get.

What kind of decking will you use? was your backfill against the walls dirt or rock?

EDIT: Pool looks bigger than 5600 gal.....is that just an illusion
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! And the view is awesome! Yes, TFTestkits.net is the place to buy your kit. I've been buying mine there for many years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

We are going to do the 16"x24" Travertine coping and start off bringing grass right up to it. If this becomes too much of a headache, we will add pavers, but I like the natural look. Also have been talked into black interior finish. Thoughts?
    Please check my figures 10'x15'x5' (4'10") = 750x7.5= 5600, correct?
    thanks
    5600Gal, IG, Plaster, EcoSelect Clean & Clear 320, Eco Select Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC20 Salt System, 04/17/2017

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

was your backfill against the pool wall filled with dirt or rock?
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would add the whale wall brush to the mix. It is great for brushing plaster pools.

The black finish MIGHT mottle. The darker the finish the bigger the chances of it. It really depends on the skills of the installers.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I know they had a load of gravel delivered, as well as the dirt from the initial dig. I didn't get to watch the actual back fill however, so I can't say with certainty. Sounds ominous. Do I need to be worried?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Do I need to be worried?
    If they used dirt. The dirt will settle and it will continue to settle for maybe a year. Settleing under a concret deck will very likely crack the deck. I would discuss this with PB and find out about the backfill.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

Progress pic. Still have some sod to go

10. Back To Top    #10

IMG_1248.jpgOk, builder had maintenance for the first six weeks and that has just ended. I have been testing from the beginning to learn how, but haven't added any chemicals yet. Last nite I did all the tests:
    Sodium Chloride 4400
    TC 5
    pH 8.2
    FC 5
    CC 0-.5
    CH 375
    TA 170
    CYA 20
    throwing these into Pool Math I get:
    Add 27 oz calcium chloride dihydrate & 107 oz liquid stabilizer.
    getting ready to make a Walmart run for these items. Anyone care to look over my shoulder/suggestions/concerns would be GREATLY appreciated.
    thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is a link for you:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Looking at that chart you do not need to add any more CH right now.

You need some muratic acid to get your PH down.

Once everything evens out we will work on getting your TA down but that is the last thing we work on.

Make sure to keep a good log of your test results so you can start to see patterns for your pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Walmart carries granular CYA. Look it up online. My local stores have it for $14.86, and they'll price match their website for $12.77.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Very nice progress. I would second kimkats advise. Alkalinity shouldn't be too much of a problem, depending on your usage, you'll probably be refilling enough water to bring that down pretty quick.
    20' X 40' IG vinyl lined; 31,300 gallons; built ~30years ago
    Hayward 1HP Single Speed Pump w/Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006,Rola-chem sodium hypo feeder/ 15 gallon tank
    Fill from soft/neutral well water, low flowrate well pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Update on Weekly Testing:
    TC 5
    pH 8.2
    Sodium Chloride 4800
    FC 3.5, CC 0
    CH 450
    TA 160
    CYA 20

Pool math indicates adding stabilizer only. Anyone want to review and provide recs?
    thanks in advance

15. Back To Top    #15

Your PH is high again. I think it is time to bring you TA down to see if we can get a handle on your PH. Here is a link I want you to study and ask questions about if needed:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

It is easy and fairly cheap to do. It is a process though. It could take a few days to finish but it will be worth it in the end.

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

With those numbers you are guaranteed to scale your SWG cell and the pool walls. Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Manage your pH and TA such that you keep CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale in your SWG cell and your pool. PoolMath will give you your CSI number after you enter all your test results.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

ok, I see that Borate affects pH /TA. I haven't tested for Borate. Where is the test description/instructions? Is this test included in TF-100 kit?
    Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

There is no test for borates. You need to click on the link I shared and follow this directions. You need to get your TA and ph under control before your plaster is damaged.

19. Back To Top    #19

If you haven't intentionally added borates to your pool then the number is 0. There are test strips available to test for borates from TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Alright. Pool Math says I need to add 9.9 oz muriatic acid & 51 oz (weight) or 107 oz liquid stabilizer. You concur?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast