Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New hot tub, bromine or chlorine? It has an ozonator

1. Back To Top    #1

New hot tub, bromine or chlorine? It has an ozonator

So we ordered a hot tub yesterday, should get it in a couple weeks. It comes with the ozonator, and they want to give me spa marvel to get started, but I am not sure I trust that to keep my spa germ free.

So should I ask for the bromine or chlorine starter kit? (Either one will come "free"with the tub)

I have used the chlorine method recommended here, on the pool we had in Alabama with great success and had planned to use the same with the hot tub, in Idaho. But Does having the ozonator change things? they claim I won't need as much chlorine or bromine with it?

Does one work better with it than the other? Which method is easier? Is either method hard on the hot tub materials themselves?
    bullfrog hot tub R7L 425 gallons
    With an Ozonator
    Using the Chlorine system
    Test kit is Taylor K-20006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New hot tub, bromine or chlorine? It has an ozonator

You don't want to use an ozonator with chlorine. When there's no bather waste around to oxidize, the ozone and chlorine will annihilate one another.

You can either start it as a bromine tub and just wait a year or two for the ozonator to die (they don't last long) or you can disconnect it and run as a chlorine tub.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I am a big fan of our hot tub on bleach. It is easy and works great. Here is the process, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Another option to consider is using a drop in salt water generator to make the chlorine. That is what I having been using on mine for the past year and once I got it dialed in it has worked great.
    24'x52" Above Ground Pool, Hayward Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Dual Speed pump, In-line Chlorine Feeder (only used when on vacation), AquaLuminator return light (customized with color changing LED light), all plumbing done with Schedule 40 PVC
    & 2004 Elite Spas Monterey Hot Tub (~400 gallons) with Controlomatic Technichlor SWG - Use Taylor K-2006 test kit with K-1766 addition and speed stir on both.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    You don't want to use an ozonator with chlorine. When there's no bather waste around to oxidize, the ozone and chlorine will annihilate one another.

You can either start it as a bromine tub and just wait a year or two for the ozonator to die (they don't last long) or you can disconnect it and run as a chlorine tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you know when the ozonator quits working?
    bullfrog hot tub R7L 425 gallons
    With an Ozonator
    Using the Chlorine system
    Test kit is Taylor K-20006

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyMaMa View Post
    How do you know when the ozonator quits working?
    You don't, that's one of the problems with them - there's no obvious sign of failure. There is a test kit for ozone gas but it would require getting into the guts of the unit to remove the gas injection tube and test the output of the corona discharge cell, but its only a "presence of ozone" test, not a quantitative measurement.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates