Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: optimal time to run pool solar heater

1. Back To Top    #1

optimal time to run pool solar heater

hi i live in north california and just reconnected the solar panel to heat my pool. what's the optimal time of each day and how many hours should i run it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: optimal time to run pool solar heater

When the sun is shining, it's not too windy and you need heat is the time to run it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a solar controller? It will do the work for you, only opening the solar valve when heat is available and needed. I run my VS pump from 8a to 10p at 1100 rpm on solar standby, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG. When solar heat is available the solar controller ramps up the pump speed and opens the solar valve. It allows you to set a high point, we have ours set to 93.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In FL, some pool owners also run the pool solar panels at night to "cool" the water.
    If you don't have an automated system (measuring water temp and controlling the by-pass valve for the panels) - how long you run pool water through the panels depends on how much pool heating you want, how many panels you have (the panel size and how efficient the panels are), and the amount of sun or clouds, etc. and will vary a lot.
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

5. Back To Top    #5

We use our solar panels to cool the pool in August, works great. The solar controller can control that too.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Do you have a solar controller? It will do the work for you, only opening the solar valve when heat is available and needed. I run my VS pump from 8a to 10p at 1100 rpm on solar standby, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG. When solar heat is available the solar controller ramps up the pump speed and opens the solar valve. It allows you to set a high point, we have ours set to 93.
    What is the effect of running the solar at a lower speed?

7. Back To Top    #7

Less efficiency. It leaves heat in the panel.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I see. I need to add logic into my Vera to handle this part as my VS Pump is controlled outside my Jandy. Glad I saw this post. No biggie, just need to figure out the programming part for that. Thanks!