Would this idea work to drain water quicker?

Oct 23, 2008
Bonita Springs, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a 20,000 gal, in ground pool with a Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump and a Sta-Rite cartridge filter. In the past I would attach a garden hose to one of the drain ports on the filter housing and wait 1.5 days to the lower water in the pool.

Would this setup work better? I would install a shutoff valve before between the pump and the filter and then install a tee between the shutoff valve and the pump fitted with a 2" female threaded adapter that I could attach a 2" drain hose to. I would close the 2" shutoff valve and then turn the pump on to lower the water level. All the plumbing is 2". Would this setup work at lowering the water level in the pool more quickly?

Yes. You'd be adding a waste line, which is ideal for lowering water or vacuuming out large amounts of fine debris that would otherwise clog your filter. As long as you can run from the main drain only you can drain your pool very far, very quickly this way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.